Montana/Venture front strut replacement

Moody Blue

Captain
This is on my to-do list very soon. I've done struts before but this job looks daunting. The upper strut mount bolts are buried back under the windshield cowling, in behind the windshield wiper linkages. Any words of advice or wisdom from the members here?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Montana/Venture front strut replacement

My Haynes manual says that you will want to remove the w/s wiper linkage to get to the passenger side bolts easier. It also mentions that you can loosen, but not remove the linkage bolts and move it out of the way, when you replace the wiper motor. So maybe you can do that in this case too?
It also reminds you to mark the strut-to-knuckle mounting area before you remove the knuckle, so you can get it back where it was.

jkust

Rear Admiral

How many miles on your van out of curiosity? I've still got a 2000 Olds Silhouette in my fleet and luckily the only thing to ever need attention was the waterpump because you are right everything is difficult to work on under the hood. Best, least troublesome vehicle I've ever owned but wow, they really jammed the v6 in there.

Moody Blue

Captain

It also mentions that you can loosen, but not remove the linkage bolts and move it out of the way, when you replace the wiper motor.

I've had a good look and see that the wiper motor and linkage does need to come off to get at the RHS strut. To do so, the wiper arms, and cowling need to be removed to get at the mounting bolts. I see busted up knuckles on this job.

Not sure what the comment above means about loosening the linkage bolts. Can you clarify? Thanks.

TilliamWe

Banned

No I can't clarify, I just quoted the haynes manual. Now that was in relation to removing the wiper motor, so they are talking about the linkage bolts in the center, not out by the wipers. So it may not apply to what you are doing.
Indeed the angle of the widshield and the depth of the cowl/vent grilles does cover up the whole back half of those engines. that's the price you pay for style and aerodynamics?!

Moody Blue

Captain

How many miles on your van out of curiosity?

It's got 208,000KM or 125,000 miles. Been a good reliable van so far. Just changed over to summer tires and noticed that the drivers side spring is broken at the top so time to replace the struts.

jkust

Rear Admiral

It's got 208,000KM or 125,000 miles. Been a good reliable van so far. Just changed over to summer tires and noticed that the drivers side spring is broken at the top so time to replace the struts.

Count yourself lucky it isn't a Chrysler minivan where the whole strut tower rusts away at relatively low miles. 125k on these vans is just getting broken in. They are for sale on Craigs List routinely over 200,000 miles.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you got lucky and have avoided the dreaded leaking head gaskets that have been an issue on some of these vans. (You DO still have coolant left, right??). Two of my buddies have been plagued by that on their Montanas. That and some weird electrical issues with tail and reverse lights blowing constantly. Nice driving vans that hold a ton of stuff, though.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd watch for a sale and let Sears or Monroe do it. :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you got lucky and have avoided the dreaded leaking head gaskets that have been an issue on some of these vans. (You DO still have coolant left, right??). Two of my buddies have been plagued by that on their Montanas. That and some weird electrical issues with tail and reverse lights blowing constantly. Nice driving vans that hold a ton of stuff, though.

You're thinking of the dreaded intake manifold gasket?? My 2000 with 144k miles amazingly hasn't been replaced. Have known a few people that weren't so luck and destroyed their engines. Dexcool I seem to recall was blamed for many of these types of failures. That's the minivan that towed my 4000lb Chaparral on many occassions with no ill effects. The rear air shocks like to fail on them. My first factory set went 100k miles and the cheap replacements got about 40k miles before they went out. For a GM and the demands I've given it, it has been nothing shy of amazing. The most amazing thing on it is that the AC has never been serviced or touched and it still works like the day we brought it home. Biggest downside is the certain death in the offset crash test. It performs so badly, you actually wince when you watch the slomo footage. I've actually finally parked it and will sell it when I get some time.

bassman284

Commander

How many miles on your van out of curiosity? I've still got a 2000 Olds Silhouette in my fleet and luckily the only thing to ever need attention was the waterpump because you are right everything is difficult to work on under the hood. Best, least troublesome vehicle I've ever owned but wow, they really jammed the v6 in there.

The Cadillac of minivans.

Moody Blue

Captain

The problem gaskets were redesigned and implemented in the late 2003 model engines. This van has been so great. Hasn't cost me a dime in repair costs other than the expected tires, brakes, bulbs etc.

I'm going to do the job myself, doesn't look too bad, more of a PITA. Will be replacing the the lower control arms and sway bar end links while I've got everything apart. Bushings in the control arms are shot and it is easier to just replace the control arms rather than try to remove and press in the new ones.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to remove the wipers, cowl cover, and wiper assembly in order to access the top strut nuts. After that support the front end on jack stands, remove wheels, disconnect the sway-bar to strut linkage. Try and mark where the strut is located onto the spindle, these are usually adjustable, you will need to get an alignment afterwords (this is your camber adjustment). Place your floorjack under the lower outside of the a-arm for support. Break loose spindle to strut bolts, then remove top strut nuts. SLOWLY release the floor jack until the strut is free, and finish removal. Watch out not to stress or overextend brake hoses and abs sensor wires. Put it back together and ride on. It's a really good Idea to Torque all of these fasteners to spec When assembling.

Haven't done this on an olds, but have on a-lot of mini-vans.

Good Luck!

Moody Blue

Captain

Thanks for the info. Do you bother to remove the caliper assy or leave it in place?

How have you managed to pull the wiper arms off the splined drive shafts?

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most likely you will want to remove the calipers and tie them up to something (to avoid stressing the hoses) but it may be a good time to just replace the brake hoses as well. Also Be CAREFUL of the speed sensor wires $$$$$$$$ .

Usually?!? GMs will have a tab on the wiper arm that you can lift the wiper into its up position and with a small screwdriver pull the tab out to lock the wiper arm against itself, then wiggle it off. Others may require a small 2 jaw puller. Make sure that the wipers are in the off and parked position, especially when reinstalling them. Also usually the DS and PS are different shapes.

Moody Blue

Captain

704, that's quite an elaborate and advanced conversion facility. Sorry to hear you've been laid off. Hopefully things will pick up again and they can call you back.

Well Ive got all the parts now, new quickstruts, new sway bar end linkages and a good used set of lower control arms with intact bushings.

Will be getting into this tomorrow afternoon and hope to be finished by noon Sat. Garage quoted about 6 hours total for the job, so being my first time at this and not having all the "proper" tools, I'm guessing 8-9 hours. I guess if things go horribly wrong I could always ride my bike to work :)

Moody Blue

Captain

I've got the drivers side done this afternoon. New strut assy, lower control arm and sway bar end link bushings. Has taken 4 hours so far, that's including and hour to remove the air intake cowling and windshield wiper linkages and motor assy. So far so good.

Moody Blue

Captain

Got it done yesterday afternoon. Everything went better than expected. No problems at all, and I even decided to do the brakes while I had it all apart anyways. Based on the quotes I got from the garage I saved myself over $600 in labor.