Engine siezed

gizzyknows

Cadet
In-laws have a 1995 Evinrude 200 2 stroke.Before 1st trip out yhey noticed oil at the water exhaust.Took boat out fishing started and stopped alot all ok until coming in heard a clunk.All seemed well.Took boat out next day .Same style fishing and on way back in major clunk and eng. stopped.Will not turn over at all.Prop will turn by hand.Need new powerhead or????How to check for what.Is powerhead a do it youself job for above average mech???Thanks

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine siezed

In-laws have a 1995 Evinrude 200 2 stroke.Before 1st trip out yhey noticed oil at the water exhaust.Took boat out fishing started and stopped alot all ok until coming in heard a clunk.All seemed well.Took boat out next day .Same style fishing and on way back in major clunk and eng. stopped.Will not turn over at all.Prop will turn by hand.Need new powerhead or????How to check for what.Is powerhead a do it youself job for above average mech???Thanks

thats not good... if the starter or you cant turn the flywheel by hand probably the rings and/or pistons had seized... for some reason i have the feeling that motor run without oil, lean, there was no oil in the tank, or one of the bearings or rods is gone ....

i would try to spray some oil in the heads and see if you can turn it by hand.. make sure you remove all the spark plugs....

removing the powerhead is a lot of work but nothing that cat be done... if you are mechanicly inclined, have the tools and a garage i would say go for it.. make sure you get a OEM repair manual....

prop turning by hand thats probably because the motor is not in gear..

big oil/gas on the water: possible leak on the fuel system, but the motor wouldnt work/run too well.... or just like everyones 2 stroke outboard little oil/gas on the water is normal

good luck

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil in the water is not unheard of especially for a two stroke. Mine smokes like a chimney because I mix 50:1 ratio and it happens to be a military spec outboard.

One question. Did you notice if the motor was "peeing" when operating? I'm sure you know that w/o proper cooling engines will overheat and eventually sieze quite fast.

One you get down to the main reason for the sieze, i.e. rings or bearings, be sure to check the impeller that circulates water.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Oil in the water is not unheard of especially for a two stroke. Mine smokes like a chimney because I mix 50:1 ratio and it happens to be a military spec outboard.

One question. Did you notice if the motor was "peeing" when operating? I'm sure you know that w/o proper cooling engines will overheat and eventually sieze quite fast.

One you get down to the main reason for the sieze, i.e. rings or bearings, be sure to check the impeller that circulates water.

yes you're right.. posible overheating....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Grizz, Sometimes the lower units seize, instead of the powerhead. You might drop the gearcase and then see if the flywheel will turn. You need to drop the gearcase anyway, if you plan to repair powerhead.

iwombat

Captain

^^^ agreed.

Divide and conquer. Remove the LU and see which one seized up on you.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From someone who has siezed a motor more than once from lack of water...usually it makes a strange metallic sound just prior to seizing. Then it slows to a stop very quickly, like some kind of brake was being applied. Then you usually smell strange smells, like paint getting hot. Many times after it cools, it will start but run poorly.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Grizz, Sometimes the lower units seize, instead of the powerhead. You might drop the gearcase and then see if the flywheel will turn. You need to drop the gearcase anyway, if you plan to repair powerhead.

see if theres any oil in the gearcase, or when was it change last? should be done every season.... if no oil or water with oil its very possible its the gearcase....

gizzyknows

Cadet

Going down today and see for myself what's going on.It had a good stream of water coming out when they looked before the big clunk.No warning buzzers or nothing.Lower unit seems fine.Will keep you posted.Great website and forums.Very glad to now be a member.Hope to be able to contribute.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Going down today and see for myself what's going on.It had a good stream of water coming out when they looked before the big clunk.No warning buzzers or nothing.Lower unit seems fine.Will keep you posted.Great website and forums.Very glad to now be a member.Hope to be able to contribute.

keep us posted... so other can learn from your experience

gizzyknows

Cadet

I can turn the flywheel 3-4 in. back and forth.Pulled the plugs and could see all pistons moving as I did this but one.Rt. bank middle piston,it did not budge even though I could not move flywheel far.So I guess my next step after buying a manuel is to remove the head on that side and have a looksy.Going back down Sun.First impression maybe not so bad.

gizzyknows

Cadet

Thought about the gearcase sieze brought up by a reply and asked in-laws if they checked lower unit oil.They had changed it day before taking boat out.Sunday I'LL check lower unit before attempt to remove head.Great advise.Thanks.....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

clunk and one piston not moving: I bet my lunch money on a rod? But it's always suspicious when you have a failure immediately after work was done (lower unit the day before...someone forgot to fill or left a screw loose?)

Hate to be learning at your expense but that's a major function of these forums.

gizzyknows

Cadet

Thanks for the advise all who gave it.Removed lower unit plug today and AAHHHHHH the metal was bad but the 2 yes 2 ounces of oil that globbed out was a sure sign.The rear seal must have gone out and the L.U. oil was not far behind it.Lower unit is shot.Now time to do some shopping at iboats for some parts and pieces.Thanks again mateys....