Monmouth's 1979 Starcraft Kingfisher Rebuild

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good so far. I would add some primer and paint over the gluvit you put down to cover the bilge pitting.

Come on spring!

I was able to hit the inside walls of the hull and the top of the rails with self-etching primer this weekend. I used rattle-can SEP from Home Depot, which wasn't preferable. But at least it had fewer fumes than the stuff I previously used.

On Watermann's advice, I hit the back several sections of floor, over the the coats of Gluvit I laid down. I'll plan on painting them, along with the gunnels and rail, with a few coats of the Duralux in haze gray. Hopefully this protects from any additional corrosion.

As I'm looking forward, I was hoping you guys could make some suggestions for the rear of the boat. If you look back to my original post, you can see two large boxes on either side of the rear bench that extend all the way to the transom. I didn't like them, and they took up a lot of useable space.They came out, along with the back bench, during teardown. I didn't plan to replace them, but I'm having other thoughts.

The original plan in my head was to extend the bench all the way across the beam. The boxes would be gone, so there would be plenty of room for a second battery and the 6 gallon tank behind the bench. The back bench would have one folding seat on top, but the benchtop would be able to lift up to have access to storage. (possibly a home-built cooler set, one for lunch, the other for fish)

My trolling motor is attached to my stern (offset from the O/B), so I was thinking the one centered seat would be comfortable to sit in and operate the T/M without having to crane my neck in one direction or another.

I want everything behind the bench to be neat and tidy. I've gotten two battery boxes, and the gas tank will be cleaned up a bit. But I'm having thoughts about covering them so there's a casting deck of sorts all the way back to the transom. It would run the width of the beam, starting with the bench top, and under the drip tray under my O/B.

Can I safely cover the batteries and fuel tank? Don't both have to be ventilated?

Am I going to want more storage behind? Should those boxes remain, but be cut down to the same height as the bench?

I've been thinking about this for months, and I haven't come up with a solution. I haven't seen any pictures that I really like. You guys have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• photo282517.jpg
    photo282517.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo282518.jpg
    photo282518.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 6
  • photo282520.jpg
    photo282520.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 6

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Covering the fuel and batteries is not a problem but putting the fuel tank in an enclosure without ventilation is a problem, there must be ventilation.

It's tough to know what pics of other boats you've already seen and not cared for their set up. You can always go bare bones and use the boat to see what you need and then make adjustments or additions.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Covering the fuel and batteries is not a problem but putting the fuel tank in an enclosure without ventilation is a problem, there must be ventilation.

It's tough to know what pics of other boats you've already seen and not cared for their set up. You can always go bare bones and use the boat to see what you need and then make adjustments or additions.

What do you think would be adequate ventilation? If I put a casting deck across the back, and didn't run the board all the way back to butt up against the transom, would that suffice? Or should I cut a hole over the tank and put an actual 6" vent over it?

What I'm getting at is that I'd like to be able to stand behind the bench. I plan to eventually put downriggers on the stern, and will presumably be fighting fish behind the boat (if they bite).

I'd be happy if there was just a flat, solid surface from the bench backward, which I can take care of structurally, no problem. My concern is with the ventilation.

Any feedback about the actual amount of ventilation needed would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What kind of fishing will you be doing?

We trout fish for lakers and rainbows. I plan on trolling some, but we do a lot of night rainbow fishing on an anchor.
Occasionally, we go for hybrid bass. We long-line for those with shiners about 50 yards behind the boat.

Here are two pictures I like. I want it to be fairly simple. Behind my bench, I would like it to be flat, and just be able to lift the section behind the bench for access to open and close the vent on my 6 gallon fuel tank. The batteries will be in boxes, with T/M hardwired, and a battery switch mounted outside the casting deck.

If I make a flat piece across, can I drop four of the attached 2" vents in? Will that be enough ventilation for the fuel and batteries?

Attachments

• photo283408.jpg
    photo283408.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo283409.jpg
    photo283409.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo283410.jpg
    photo283410.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7

Watermann

Covered with the front open will be plenty of ventilation. Remember fuel vapors are heavier than air so having the front of the deck open will allow for fresh air to mix and displace the vapor.

BWR1953

Admiral
As WM said, if you go with the open front deck option as shown in the yellow boat, you should be fine. Maybe add a couple of those round vents toward the stern. If you go the closed storage route, a couple of clam shell vents, mounted on the gunnels, one facing forward and the other facing aft should work okay.

Regarding the old foam boxes... I'd advise refilling them with foam in order to provide something close to "upright and level" flotation if you get swamped. Mind you, I didn't go that route but my fishing circumstances are different than yours. Where I fish, the water is rarely more than a couple of feet deep. I'd started down the road of planning for additional flotation at the stern and mentioned it to a buddy of mine. His response was "Why?" and when I told him that I didn't want the boat to sink in 20 feet of water he replied "Where are you gonna find 20' of water around here?!?" Point made! :lol:

So I just went with under deck flotation for my KF. If the boat swamps, we'll just stand up and haul it to shore! :laugh:

foam blocks5.jpg

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Covered with the front open will be plenty of ventilation. Remember fuel vapors are heavier than air so having the front of the deck open will allow for fresh air to mix and displace the vapor.

I actually will have the front closed, as I'm intending the front to be a bench with a lid that opens.

BWR - Actually, when I took the floor up, there was NO foam under the deck. Surprised me to be staring at a bare floor when I lifted the first floor panel.

Like you did, I'll be fulling the void under the floor with foam panels. Probably not with the same attention to detail that you did, but I'll be cramming as much as I can fit under there.

I'm leaning towards removing the old foam boxes. Two large battery boxes and the fuel tank may not fit otherwise.

I still have to seal and vinyl the floor. Once that's in, I will meet with my metal guy and my buddy who's helping with carpentry. We'll try to come up with a plan.

It will likely be vented with 4 or more of those plastic soffit vents - strategically placed.

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions. Let me know if anything else comes to mind!

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A couple vent grates in the front would help, having vents on top doesn't ventilate the compartment without something active like a blower fan.

This is how I set up the 6 gal fuel tank in my SN.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...8-sea-nymph-ss160-resto?p=6425393#post6425393

Awesome suggestion. Thank you. That's the kind of idea I was searching for.

I just have to figure out how to configure it. Leaving the front open will take some crafty configuration ideas. Like i said, I was hoping to have a bench for storage in front - which would make it hard to either leave it open or to install the vents on the front. Storage, and keeping everything clean, are big priorities for me. I absolutely hate tripping over tackle boxes and coolers while on the water. I want everything to be tucked away when not in use.

The drip pan is a nice touch too. My tank tends to ooze gas through fittings when the boat cover is on and it's warm out.

Keep the ideas coming! Thank you!

Watermann

Yeah I too hate having stuff strewn about in the boat, especially coolers which is why on both my fishing boat builds I put in deck coolers into the builds. In my Chief I have a place in the cabin where the cooler is secured from moving up in the bow.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I too hate having stuff strewn about in the boat, especially coolers which is why on both my fishing boat builds I put in deck coolers into the builds. In my Chief I have a place in the cabin where the cooler is secured from moving up in the bow.

The idea is that the back bench will open so I can put a fish bag in there, and a few small soft-sided coolers for drinks and sandwiches.

I'll have a bench under by driver's seat that will hold tools and safety equipment.

I plan to have a small casting deck in the front as well - smaller than the one in the back. The front portion will open up for throwable cushion and life vest storage.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, so while painting the interior and rails over the weekend, I had a lot of time to stare at the boat while the paint dried.

I'm thinking about cutting the side boxes down to make them a bit more narrow. This will allow me to fill them with at least a little foam for flotation. Also, it frees up extra space behind the bench that I'll need for the extra battery and the two battery boxes.

I was thinking that I could make the bench top flip open towards the bow. Then, for a shorter section right behind the bench (only extending about halfway to the transom) another flip-up panel that opens towards to stern. This would give access to the fuel tank and batteries, but still be open enough that it is well ventilated. Bracing on the side boxes and transom knee would hopefully give enough support that I could stand on it if needed.

I don't plan to fish from the back of the boat too much, but I do need to raise an lower the outboard manually. This gets precarious, standing on the bench and leaning far forward to grasp and life the outboard. If I could get a foot or two closer with the second, rear panel, it would help a lot.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Watermann

If you're building a raised deck then I strongly suggest adding the necessary bracing supports underneath to make it strong enough for a couple people to stand on.

BWR1953

Admiral
Yep, you'll need to strengthen the hatches enough to support a couple of folks back there, which means strong bracing! ;)

As for the foam flotation... check this thread to get the math on how much you'd need to actually keep the boat afloat. Anything lower than the required amount simply means that the boat just sinks slower. :eek:

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you're building a raised deck then I strongly suggest adding the necessary bracing supports underneath to make it strong enough for a couple people to stand on.

It will definitely be braced very well. Likely with a box made from angle aluminum.

Thanks for the link for the flotation. I'm going to pack in as much as I can. There was none in there before - totally empty below the floor - so anything from here is an improvement!

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Monmouth00, sounds like you want to do kind of what I did for a rear deck. Have a look at my rebuild, there is plenty of ventilation under the rear door and through the gunnels. I don't have my main fuel tank back there but I do have one for the kicker and I have no issues with fumes, it all vents out quite nicely. Both batteries are under the rear deck as well.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Monmouth00, sounds like you want to do kind of what I did for a rear deck. Have a look at my rebuild, there is plenty of ventilation under the rear door and through the gunnels. I don't have my main fuel tank back there but I do have one for the kicker and I have no issues with fumes, it all vents out quite nicely. Both batteries are under the rear deck as well.

YES! Thank you! I'm looking to so something very similar to what you've done. Thank you.

The goal would be to have my bench open on the top, instead of in front like yours.

I'll cut down the flotation boxes in the back, just a bit more narrow that your side boxes that extend all the way to the transom. I need a little extra room for the fuel tank and two battery boxes. Between the two boxes, I'll fit the bench that will open towards the bow, and the rear deck that will flip open towards the stern.

I made a quick picture that hopefully shows what I'm trying to accomplish. You guys think this will work?

Will it still be enough ventilation if I leave room between the deck and the transom?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• photo283744.jpg
    photo283744.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo283745.jpg
    photo283745.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 8

BWR1953

Admiral
Yep, looks good to me. If I were going to enclose the stern of my KF, that's very close to the way I'd go. And you can always add a couple of those vents if you want "to just be sure" that you have sufficient airflow in that space. :peaceful: