Money Won't Change Me?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Money Won't Change Me?

Here we go again..blaming the money when the jerk could have bought his own island, built his own bar, hired idiots to be his friends, created phony police to pull him over on his private roads, etc

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I'm sure that this fella was a "DRUNK!!!" way before any money came into his pockets!!!! Since he has won, he is now in the lime light when ever he steps over the line!!! ;) :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I think there is a clause of somekind that if you win over a certain amount, they have permission to use your name and picture for promotions, plus the place you bought it gets so much, so that would be in the news.<br />There is just no way to keep it quite..
Even if there ain't such a clause, they have to publish lists of winners, and there's plenty of opportunity hounds using 'em to prey on the newly wealthy, before you figure out how to handle it.<br /><br />$100 million? I can't even conceive of what that would be like. Where to find advisors you can trust? How many of your friends have experience dealing with that kind of cash? Not a simple matter, but I'm ready to give it a try! :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) I'm sure that this fella was a "DRUNK!!!" way before any money came into his pockets!!!! Since he has won, he is now in the lime light when ever he steps over the line!!! ;) :cool:
I did hear that he did give a big chunk to a church in his hometown though.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

As I recall, the church initially refused the money. If they had a change of heart I am unaware.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh I don't know bomar. All the other stuff he got into overshadowed anything else.<br /><br />Then there was the Jessica Lynch thing.<br />Don't even get me started on that one.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Oh I don't know bomar. All the other stuff he got into overshadowed anything else.<br /><br />Then there was the Jessica Lynch thing.<br />Don't even get me started on that one. <br />
WTF does that have to do with this topic???<br />Zero

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by bomar76:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Oh I don't know bomar. All the other stuff he got into overshadowed anything else.<br /><br />Then there was the Jessica Lynch thing.<br />Don't even get me started on that one. <br />
WTF does that have to do with this topic???<br />Zero
Nothing to do with this topic per say, just the way they do things in West Virginia.

Link

Rear Admiral

NYMINUTE<br />Interesting subject. With few exceptions people are creatures of habit. If they are living beyond their means on say 12-100K a year and win a lottery of some type, it just lets them take their mis management of money and their lives to a new level.<br />I have seen this so many times its just old news now.<br /><br />An exception. Some friends, years ago in their mid 50s were trying to figure out how they were going to afford to retire in 10 years.<br />They earned 120K (net) but were so far in debt that they were going to have to work until 65 just to get by on a reduced income.<br />They both worked for the same company and could retire anytime they wanted but could not afford to do so.<br />Well they won 7 million in a lottery. They hired a firm to help them manage the money before they ever picked up the check.<br />Many years later we just had dinner with them a couple months ago and they are happy, debt free and living with in the budget set up for them 6 years ago. They were old enough to take advantage of their win fall if you will.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I did hear that he did give a big chunk to a church in his hometown though.
My Pastor said from the pulpit... don't even think of giving any lotery winnings to our church as long as he is pastor.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I don't understand, why would any church refuse a large (legally obtained) donation?<br /><br />Aldo

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I am confused as well. My church could use another building, and some upgrades. If I win, I would be glad to pay for that.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I don't understand, why would any church refuse a large (legally obtained) donation?<br /><br />Aldo
Because Aldo, it was obtained through a wager and most churches I know of are against any kind of gambling.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks SBN, I didn't know that. But it sure does beg more questions, but not here.<br /><br />Aldo

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I got one word for this loser of life's lottery;<br /><br /><br />Waaaaaaa!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Link:<br /> NYMINUTE<br />Interesting subject. With few exceptions people are creatures of habit. If they are living beyond their means on say 12-100K a year and win a lottery of some type, it just lets them take their mis management of money and their lives to a new level.<br />I have seen this so many times its just old news now.<br /><br />An exception. Some friends, years ago in their mid 50s were trying to figure out how they were going to afford to retire in 10 years.<br />They earned 120K (net) but were so far in debt that they were going to have to work until 65 just to get by on a reduced income.<br />They both worked for the same company and could retire anytime they wanted but could not afford to do so.<br />Well they won 7 million in a lottery. They hired a firm to help them manage the money before they ever picked up the check.<br />Many years later we just had dinner with them a couple months ago and they are happy, debt free and living with in the budget set up for them 6 years ago. They were old enough to take advantage of their win fall if you will.
Somebody used their head....So few can be sucessful.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Not all people that win the lottery mismanage it!!! It seems we only hear of the non successfull ones on the news, never hear of the ones that went on and did well!!!<br /><br />Friend of mine, poor at the time, won the 1st lottery in Massachusetts,had to be late 60s early 70s and the lottery at that time was 50 thousand, "YUP" peanuts today!!! Well! he took his winnings and bought a big hydroulic trash truck and started a bussiness!!! Did very well and is a multi millioniare today!!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy Holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I don't understand, why would any church refuse a large (legally obtained) donation?<br /><br />Aldo
Because Aldo, it was obtained through a wager and most churches I know of are against any kind of gambling.
Give 'em the benefit of the doubt & call it integrity, instead of self-righteousness. But here's a question: what about the earnings from carefully invested lottery proceeds? Fruit of the same tree, so to speak?<br /><br />What about the whole jackpot? I mean, if a person repented, would the church require them to bear the burden of great wealth for the rest of their days? Or would they take pity and relieve them of it?<br /><br />**************************<br /><br />My advice if you get one of those jumbo jackpots(and don't attempt this without a lawyer): have a "prior" ;) agreement with whichever family members you want to include (especially decendants), that you all chipped in for the winning ticket; doesn't have to be in writing, doesn't have to be equal shares (purchaser gets 80%, whatever). Gift & estate taxes can be staggering. This way you can include relatives you like, and buy off those you don't without a big tax penalty. Imagine being a multi-millionaire while your siblings are still just "ordinary." Must add a lot of stress to Christmas dinner!

SpinnerBait_Nut

This just in.<br />Grand Daughter found dead beside boyfriend's house.