Mississippi Slough Icebreaker

harringtondav

Commander
..Alternate title: Ice Fishing Boat.
I spotted this trio coming up our slough, crunching through the ice. 27 deg F air temp, 32 deg F water temp.

They made it up to the channel and got stuck for several minutes. They broke free and went down a back slough for a while before coming back up and going down our slough back to the ramp.

I guess they were holding each other's beers. I've always believed a man's brain size is inversely proportional to his stones size. ...I rest my case.

IMG_20210117_144905115.jpg

MRS

Commander
Maybe it was like one more cast then we leave!

dwco5051

Commander
All I will say is ... been there, done that ...
Me too. A couple of late Fall/Early Winter days breaking maybe a 1/4 inch or so of skim ice coming out of Snyder's Run when the main lake was clear. Nothing like that picture since I left the Navy.

sangerwaker

Commander
That's a little "chunkier" than we would ski in. :p I haven't done it in a few years, but alot of folks ski the Mississippin in St Paul New Years Day, no matter the weather. There's enough current it seldom freezes.

Below from 2006, but a good pic.

Picture 044.jpg

Sometimes we have to literally cut open the landing with chain and ice saws.

IMG_0331.jpg

MRS

Commander
o_O I thought I have skied in cold water here in California in January but after seeing your post! I cannot even complain about cold water. šŸ˜²
But it does get cold here at times.
cold%20boat.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
Back in my young and dumb days (as opposed to my old and dumb days currently) we would water ski on New Year's day if the water was open ... usually had to break ice to get to the open water for skiing. Some of us did have wet suits, but one year we taught a kid to ski during a snow storm ... and surprisingly, no alcohol or mind altering agents were involved ... Yep, that is how dumb we were!

dwco5051

Commander
Oct 12 back in the mid 70's oldest daughter and I skied in our underwear on a dare. Latest in the year for me without a wet suit. Don't know if I could survive it today. I remember hitting the water and gasping for breath for a few seconds. Once I was up and I didn't want to stop because I was now dry and knew I was going to get wet again. Short ski season here in Central Pennsylvania. And yes that was after I quit drinking. They say that maturity is what men finally achieve after they have tried everything else.