Miss or gear problem

kcloud

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
2
I have a 1986 Force 125hp on a pontoon boat. It has just developed a problem running at full speed where it is either missing for an instant or jumping out of gear for an instant. It behaves as if I ran into something but then picks up again so quickly I can't tell whether the engine was actually running or it popped out of gear. Adjusted the cable to make sure it is fully engaged and the problem continues. If I run at half throttle no problem.
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: Miss or gear problem

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />I would start by checking the prop hub. It may have spun out.<br />Next, i would drain the l/u, and see if there are any chunks of metal in the drained lube. It may be a chunk of gear suspended in the lube, getting caught-up in the gear train.<br />It could be a high-speed miss, or backfire, but the way you describe it, it sounds like a l/u about to go bye-bye. I hope i am wrong.
 

speeddemon1452

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
37
Re: Miss or gear problem

my pontoon with a 1995 70hp force did same thing and it was the lower unit the pinon gear went out.
 

APIKE48124

Cadet
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
22
Re: Miss or gear problem

Ive experienced the same thing but it was when I would go thru weeds. It sounded like it would wind out, or pop out of gear temporarily, but would still be in gear. Usually only happened when wide open throttle. Make sure its not just running thru thick weeds when it does this. (before spending the $$$$)<br /><br />Ånd¥
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Miss or gear problem

Speaking generically;<br />Usually what you describe is a worn clutch dog in the gearcase.It is normal for it to wear and over time it will begin to chunk or thump.<br />Sometimes these will wear prematurely if you shift at too high a speed or mash it into gear.<br /> The trick is to shift crisply but don't jam it into gear nor drag it too slowly.<br />A fairly straught forward repair though probably pretty costly at a marina.
 
Top