Minn. Trooper Writes 205 Mph Ticket

Ralph 123

Captain
WABASHA, Minn. (AP) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.<br /><br />On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.<br /><br />When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.<br /><br />"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."<br /><br />Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.<br /><br />After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.<br /><br />The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.<br /><br />A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.<br /><br />Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.<br /><br />Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.<br /><br />Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.<br /><br />"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Minn. Trooper Writes 205 Mph Ticket

I once had a Kaw 900 me thinks would run pretty close to that. :D <br /><br />Well maybe not 205, but at the time, it was one of the fastest production bikes made.<br />It was fast. :)

sangerwaker

Commander

Saw this on the local news last night and in the paper this morning. What a knob! That is just plain dumb IMO. Imagine if he had crashed going that fast! Be nothing but a smear on and off the road. The Guy (kid) let his testosterone get the best of him. I think most of us guys have done some crazy stuff when we were younger ;) , but not 200 mph on the highway! That's what race tracks are for.

tylerin

Commander

I once had a Kaw 900 me thinks would run pretty close to that. <br /><br />Well maybe not 205, but at the time, it was one of the fastest production bikes made.<br />It was fast. <br /><br />
Had one too Spinner Z1900 roller crank, faster than snot, brown and orange tank, but took and act of God to turn a corner

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I saw an indicated (aka on the speedo) 180mph on my Kawasaki ZX1100 a couple times. I may or may not have a short video clip, where I bungied a video camera to the tank so that you can see the road and the guages, as proof.... <br /><br />That bike saw 75mph in first gear, and 100mph in second gear in about 6 seconds, with 4 gears left to go..... aah the good old younger and dumber days..... :D

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Oh they didnt mention in this article that this was the deputy sherriffs son that was driveing the cycle. I feel that this @$$hole should have his liscense jerked for the rest of his life. Also could you imagine the next few years insurance premiums

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yes the younger, don't give a crap days were fun, and dangerous also.<br /><br />The 900 Kaw was a fast one and would throw you off if you wasn't holding on real tight at the crack of the throttle.<br /><br />Also had a 250 Elsinore(sp) by Honda that was ultra fast for about a mile. :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

<br /> [/quote]Had one too Spinner Z1900 roller crank, faster than snot, brown and orange tank, but took and act of God to turn a corner [/quote]<br /><br />Faster than snot, lol? Where does that rank on the speed index? I have a pretty good idea where 'slower than molasses' and 'faster than a speeding bullet' fit in, but haven't heard the expression 'faster than snot' before!

ob

Admiral

The Kaw 900 I once owned would hit around 138 with a tail wind.Quick out of the hole but far less R's than the newer inline fours.The GS 1000 suzy did around 140.And my present Yammy Fizzer 1000 ...well more than that.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If the road was clear, I dont see the harm in this. Key word is clear. Only person you will hurt is yourself.<br /><br />Ive seen the speedo pegged past 160 mph on my 96 Camaro Z28. I even have a photo somewhere.<br /><br />But I also expected that if I was caught, I would be still be under the jail. The price to pay for low level flying.<br /><br />But really I can't imagine 200 mph on a bike. That is really insane. One small bump and POOF, no more skin.<br /><br />Ken

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Minnesota, huh? Reckon that was Telmann after reading some of your posts Ralph?<br /><br />Jinx

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by ob:<br /> The Kaw 900 I once owned would hit around 138 with a tail wind.Quick out of the hole but far less R's than the newer inline fours.The GS 1000 suzy did around 140.And my present Yammy Fizzer 1000 ...well more than that.
Don't know ob, the one I had would run a lot faster than that.<br />It would turn right at 9500 RPM's and when you got into 6th. gear, it would get on out there.<br />This is the one I had.<br />
2.jpg

gaugeguy

Captain

"Go on and write me up for two-oh-five<br />Post my face, wanted dead or alive<br />Take my liscence and all that jive<br />I can't drive...sixty five"<br /><br />Dumb kid :rolleyes:

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> "Go on and write me up for two-oh-five<br />Post my face, wanted dead or alive<br />Take my liscence and all that jive<br />I can't drive...sixty five"<br /><br />Dumb kid :rolleyes:
Ahhh, yes, Sammy sang it true. <br />But an earlier song of his told the tale of laying the thing down at that speed. You may remember it.<br /><br />"Boom, Boom, Out go the lights...."

11 footer

Lieutenant

I don't see any harm in going 200mph on a bike on the highway, when there was no one else around, on the road.<br /><br />What time of day was it when this happend?

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't believe it!! 205 mph on a road. It take about 3 to 4 seconds just to get to 4th or 5th gear. 4.39 seconds to reach 205 mph is immpossible for quarter mile. I have to see it myself to believe it. Even in a quarter mile drag race they can't reach that speed in such a short time. Is the bike deck out nitro etc... and if that guy really did make that speed he should be thrown in jail and throw the key away just for stupidity.<br /><br />Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up. :confused: :confused: :confused:

aspeck

Staff member

beezee28 - he did not accelerate to 205 in the 1/4 mile, he AVERAGED 205 over a quarter mile. And that, my friends, is moving! Unless decked out in full protective gear on a closed course, that is pretty stupid. I have hit animals before on a bike, but never at 205! That would not be pretty!

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

beezee28... what it said was the it took the guy 4.39 seconds to travel 1/4 mile at top speed. Divide that into 900 and you get his speed. And actually top fuel dragsters go much faster than that from a dead stop in the quarter.. try over 300 mph.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> beezee28... what it said was the it took the guy 4.39 seconds to travel 1/4 mile at top speed. Divide that into 900 and you get his speed. And actually top fuel dragsters go much faster than that from a dead stop in the quarter.. try over 300 mph.
They along with the top fuel floppers average 323 in just about 4 and 1/2 seconds and guys, that's moving on.<br /><br />5+ G's at throttle up and 6- G's at parachute deployment.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by beezee28:<br /> 4.39 seconds to reach 205 mph is immpossible for quarter mile.
Travel 1/4 mile in 4.39 seconds = 205 MPH (4.39/60/60 = .0012194 hours; .25 miles / .0012194 hours = 205 MPH)<br /><br />Of course if he was accelerating during the measurement his top speed could have been higher!