Minn Kota vs Motor Guide vs Others

Minn Kota vs Motor Guide vs Others

• Total voters

Reel North

Cadet
Re: Minn Kota vs Motor Guide vs Others

I have a minnkota maxxum 80. I use my boat A LOT, and have for the last 5 years. I fish the Niagara in the winter, all the way through to the end of Muskie season in Mid November. I probably was out 60 days + last season. I finally had to replace the brushes in mine, because I wore it out lol. I love the motor, and would never, ever get a different brand.

I had a motor guide on my first boat 6 years ago, and it blew up in the second season.

I like the lift assist on the maxxum 80, as well as the built in sonar. Definitely my choice for motors in Minnkota

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 55 pd v2 on my 16 ft nitro it pulls me through the weeds like a horse (all day long with one battery)
i love minkota, i would never cheat on her.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading all the posts, I am unable to draw a conclusion. I read the one review on Cabelas, must be reviews on freshwater trollers, only 1 review for saltwater 45# models. I am buying a FoldCat 11' boat, weights 100#, carries 600# total. Looking at MinnKota Traxxis 45 or MotorGuide Varimax 45 for my use. I am fishing in Mosquito Lagoon, which is brackish. I read the threads on salt water use for freshwater trollers, again no conclusion. Most said this is okay, but the few immediate dies weigh heavily. Think I should get a saltwater model. The comments on Customer Service for MK are favorable, might break the indecision. Any comments on Customer Service for Motor Guide?

I have used a MotorGuide Varimax transom mount 55lb thrust for one year now. I'm really pleased with my purchase. Motorguide discovered an issue with the Varimax line last Sept and quickly issued a directive for replacing the top unit.(possible overheating problem) It was a no hassle process through Cabela's, since they are a MotorGuide authorized service center. Motorguide customer service was great and they sent me a reimbursement check, for my shipping fee to Cabela's, in only two days. Cabelas paid for the shipping back to me. The newer Varimax's have the redesigned unit and don't have any problems.
I love the variable speed and power, and I troll all day with one battey and have plenty of juice left. I also like the unique push/pull handle, battery meter and transom bracket. That aluminum shaft is beefy too.

sierra 18

Cadet

I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of trolling motors before buying a Minn Kota. I have heard much good and bad about both products, and can only attest to using the Minn Kota and being happy to date. When I was buying an item from a local service centre that is the official service depot for Minn Kota and Motor Guide, the rep I spoke to said that after doing service on both for some time, Minn Kota gets the nod for better build and quality. That is, however, just one person's opinion.

I have read many positive reviews from users of both products, and I believe that you would probably do well with either. Its a matter of choosing the features that you want and that are in your price range.

Chris

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do not buy anything thats made by Mercury's Marine

Do not buy anything thats made by Mercury's Marine

Minnkota vs Motorguide = Mercury's Marine product. Their customer Service is crappy, As you can tell that I was screwed over and they took side with their warranty guy. I owned both models and I dont recommend anyone spending too much on something that wont last too long. I understand you pay to play but honestly are you getting your money's worth from Mercury Marine.

Pontoonfoon

Seaman

I picked up a motorguide wireless (w55) for my 21' pontoon.

I picked it over the minkota V2 because

A: the deck mount bracket is included with the motorguide, and is a $75 extra on the V2

B: the deck mount bracket on the motorguide is lower profile, and easier to use than the minkota.

so far I love it, no problems and the wireless pedal took about 20 min to get used to.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Do you mean the REMOVEABLE deck mount?

Pontoonfoon

Seaman

Do you mean the REMOVEABLE deck mount?

well the MOUNT isnt removable.. its permanent, but makes everything else removable. on the motor guide the standard mount is a flat aluminum plate that mounts the deck. about 12"x6"x1" very low profile.. the motor mounts to that... its what it comes with.

the V2 can be used with a similar mount, but it is a $75 extra and not nearly as compact.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I got the one for the V2 and they call it the removeable mount. Its actually pretty nice, they part that stays on the boat is just a small "puck" and its lockable. It did cost close to that though.

dutchdog

Seaman

I would stay away from Minnkota Maxxum. My 70# thrust burns the commutator up about once a month. I have a friend that bought a 80# thrust when he bought his boat. He went through 3 armatures in 6 months. He no longer has it any more. I just recieved a new armature for mine and am in the process of selling it to try a different kind. Had to get hatefull with Minnkota to get a replacement armature.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

1 thing I would like to say. I hate how Minn Kota cheaps out on the size of the wires for the trolling motor.

I dont know if it's for all of them, but I just received a new Terrova 12v 55. It comes with only 10 AWG power cables.

I'm sure the majority of bow trolling motor owners have to extend the wires to get to their batteries.

And when you extend the wires, MK recommends using 6 AWG.... Also, I can't seem to locate any 1/4" female disconnect terminals if I were to replace the entire length of the 10 AWG cable.

I guess I'm just going to have to cut as much off as possible and replace with 6 AWG.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do not buy anything thats made by Mercury's Marine

Ran aground with composite shaft minn kota, it flexed like a rubber band!, I think I would've bent the beans out of a steel shaft model!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've owned several different Minn Kota's over the years and only one MotorGuide, but I can't say anything bad about the MotoGuide as it performed just fine for the short couple of years I had it. The MinnKota I have now is a little stiff to steer at full power, but still no complaints. I'm on the water at least two or three days a weeks (weather permitting) so they do get used a good bit. I do perfer the MinnKota's though.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

I got a free Minnkota from a friend just like one I was using. 55# thrust powerdrive. It only needed a board that i got for $75. Now I have two 55# that work great. My original is 6 years old. Have had zero problems that I couldn't fix myself. They are pretty reliable if you ask me. I just got a new Tracker boat with MotorGuide 46#. Took it off the day I got it home. Mainly because I like the Copilot I have on my MKota and I am not stumbling over a foot contoller. My .02.