Minn Kota 55 PD V2 unpluged current draw

oldcoot57

Recruit
Hi, This is my first post and thank you for all the information out there. I wondered if anyone had noticed a small continuous current draw on the MK PD even when the foot controll is not pluged in? This flow is .023 AMP on my multimeter. It's enough to make a spark when connecting the battery leads. I called tech support at MK and he informed me this was normal due to the printed circuit board. I know it's not much but, it just seems odd that the motor would draw current even with out being used. Any ideas?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota 55 PD V2 unpluged current draw

Its probably the circuit that tells you the general charge of the battery. Just unplug the power cord.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The motor itself is not drawing power -- but as was mentioned, the circuit board may. Besides .02A is not enough to kill the battery in a long while. Your car draws power from the battery as well when it is turned off. The radio for example has a station memory that remains powered 24x7.

oldcoot57

Recruit

Yes, it must be a board that is on all the time like the curcuit that makes it possible to use a wireless remote control. The spark at the battery when I connected the feed surprised me and could cause a problem if there are gas fumes in the fuel tank/battery compartment. I will be sure I don't have the TM plugged in when I connect the leads to the bat. Thanks for the imput.