Milky fuel in carb intake force 85hp

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello
I have a 1989 Force 85 hp motor, runing the motor WOT today it started working good then it started bogging and going slower maybe 50% the speed it usually goes, I opened the motor cover to inspect and noticed there is milky fuel in the carb intake, see the picture attached. Is this normal or and issue? what can cause thisI've read in tbis forum that this could be the reeds valves not working good.
Any advise woukf be much appreciated.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_132229.jpg
    IMG_20231125_132229.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23

The Force power

Commander
Hello
I have a 1989 Force 85 hp motor, runing the motor WOT today it started working good then it started bogging and going slower maybe 50% the speed it usually goes, I opened the motor cover to inspect and noticed there is milky fuel in the carb intake, see the picture attached. Is this normal or and issue? what can cause thisI've read in tbis forum that this could be the reeds valves not working good.
Any advise woukf be much appreciated.

Regards
Any water in the fuel?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What was the temp you were boating in? Do you have a fuel/water separator filter?

Most likely you were boating in cold weather with water in your fuel

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just removed the water filter for this fishing trip, I purchased a new one from Sierra and noticed it was restricting the fuel flow so I decided to remove, maybe will have to put it back.
The temp today was in the 70 range.
Thanks I will put back and post the results.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Undo the fuel line at the pump, glass container, pump the ball and catch the gas in the glass container.
Any water?? Maybe the last fill up was contaminated??
Hi Jerry,
I don't think it was contaminated, actually I fill up directly in the gas station and this boat is always stored in a covered shed no chance to get water. Anyways I will try your suggestion.
Is it normal to have this residues in the carb intake?

Regards

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That milky stuff is normal !
Never seen it before that's why it called my attention.
I ran the motor today again in it is erratic, it idles good, then going from stopped to WOT ran very bad for about 5 minutes then from nothing it started running very good for about 10.minted like it's something was unclogged, then I stopped and repeat and was the same rough start for some minutes and then it ran good.
Any ideas?

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post the results of a compression test here.------And does spark jump a gap of at least 3/8" on a test device , yes or no ?

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any video or instructions to test the Spark Gap? I've seen a couple that are not very clear to me. To have spark I should crank the motor with the kill switch not activated with risk of starting the motor, will there be any issue if the motor starts with one plug disconected?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Piece of carboard with wires glued onto it.----Just a 3/8" gap between the wires.----Stick one end in sparkplug boot and other end to block.----Make it so you can test 3 or 4 cylinder at one time!----Or buy that tool.-----Have been testing outboard spark to up to 1/2" gap since about 1968 or so.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks racerone and Jerry, I will make this tester this week end and post results.

regards

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just an update I took the boat to the lake again,,, no work was done to it from the previous take out, I just wanted to try my luck and have more detail of its behavior. Milky fuel seems not to be an issue any more, it seems that the last time I ran it I got water for trying it with out the cowl and getting watter splashed there, this time I got no water or any indication of milky fuel. Now it still is having issues getting into high RPMs, what is strange to me is that we started pretty good in the morning for about 10 minutes running steady good RPM's but suddenly it just reduced RPMs and I could't make it ran well again, we wanted to fish so we decided just to move short distances at low speeds, the boat was steady at low RPM's taking us from one side to another but at any time I tried to rev up it just died.
I recently changed the primer bulb and fuel lines, I took a primer bulb from another outboard I had there a 50HP mercury, this seems to be a little bit smaller than the one the Force 85 had, but it fitted and I put it there, might this be blocking the fuel flow?

Thanks

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll test the spark and compression test, is there any device or something that I can do to crank the motor with out having to turn the key? I usually do all this tests and repairs by my self, so it would be good, to have something to remote crank it, I used to jump a wire in the starter solenoid, but I'm not sure if that will damage something.

Thanks

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello
I finally did compresion and spark test, sparks look good and strong at 3/8 gap, compression on the other hand is bad, 100, 60 and 110 from top to bottom cylinder, what should I look for now, head gasket? I dont think I'm prepared to bore cylinders change rings and all
that stuff right now, so any suggestion before I need to get to that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nordin

Commander
Check the head gasket first. It is easiest and cheapest.
When the head is off you can se how the piston, rings and cylinder walls is at the number 2 cylinder.
If bad piston, rings and walls most likely a rebore is needed.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I'll do that, I believe I read in other thread there is no Torque or torque sequence for the cylinder head bolts right? I should just try to torque it firmly in a cross pathern or something like that?
Would using some liquid gasket maker be good? or could damage anything?

topgun3690

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I believe I read in other thread there is no Torque or torque sequence for the cylinder head bolts right?
Would using some liquid gasket maker be good?
Yes, there is both a torque spec and sequence for the cylinder head bolts....no sealers are used on the head gasket, put it on dry. If you don't have a factory manual here is the info from Mastertech Marine.....they have a lot of good information on their site.....torque spec for cylinder head bolts is 225 in lbs.
1706630738817.png