Midas Muffler

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Midas Muffler

They went through his glove box? Are you insinuating that Midas is snooping through peoples private belongings? They really are ripping people off!<br />If I catch some mechanic with his greasy fingers in my glovebox I'll break 'em off. Unless I brought it in because the light was out in there....<br />EDIT: That would be like the doctor going through your wallet while you were in for an appointment.

phatmanmike

Captain

ANYWAYS....<br /><br />my wife( when she was my girlfriend still) took her 1992 isuzu pickup to :<br />1. check the brakes, they were squeaking.<br />2. fix the hole in the muffler.<br />3. adjust or replace the clutch(it needit it bad)<br /> this was back in 1998, and she was 22, and new nothing mechanically, and they could smeel her coming.<br /><br />total bill was just under 1000 dollars, yea s agrand. this is what she got and what they charged:<br /><br />she got the clucth replaced(450 dollars)<br />she got the muffler replaced(150 dollars)<br />she got her brakes cleaned and adjusted(310 dollars) the rest was taxes and such.<br /><br />i went back and asked the manager what they did to her brakes, and they said they cleaned and adjusted them, for 310 dollars. the fronts are disc, they clean and adjust themselves. the back, the cleaned and checked.<br /><br />we havent been back since. <br /><br />i strongly agree with supporting mom and pop before everything turns into walmarts!

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> LOL I am intentionally stupid all the time too. :p <br /><br />It's a cherry bomb muffler I think.
:confused: Please L/F have Mr. L/F take the car in for servicing. :D

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Midas and Tuffy are the only rip-off joints still here in my neck of the woods. Being in the auto repair industry I have an educated outlook on them. No I have not used them in many years. When I did I was a 17yo kid, Grandma & Grandpa gave me a car with Tuffy shocks, mufflers and brakes on it. Took it in for brakes, was told I needed calipers, rotors and warranty pads. Grandma had just had calipers and rotors replaced at the last service. Can we say rip-off?<br />Took it in for a muffler, was told exhaust pipe, resonator and tailpipe all needed to be replaced because they were rusty and "weak". Grandpa had just replaced exhaust from manifolds back less than two years before. Can we say CHEAP parts at premium prices or rip-off?<br /><br />Now that I'm in the profession I have quoted jobs to customers from Tuffy. Latest one was a harmonic balancer. Tuffy quoted over $100 for the part and $125 for labor. I saw the written quote. I quoted the job at 1 hour ($55.00) and full list price on the part of $70-$80. It was the exact same part. In fact, I had to wait and order the part because Tuffy had bought the last one from my supplier. They told me so. So Tuffy wanted more than $225.00 for the exact same job I did for $135.00. And I had a full mark-up on the part. A friend of mine had Midas replace an outer tie rod end on his Dodge 400. It cost him better that 1.5 times what he was quoted at a local independent shop. He felt obligated to have them do the repair though, because the tie rod end separated in their parking lot when they were backing the car out. Being unemployed I checked with Tuffy (they've been advertising a position for three months now) and even with these sky-high prices the techs still don't make $32K a year. My reputation and integrity are too valuable to me to lower myself to Tuffy's level.<br /><br />So I think I will start my own shop, charge a fair price, and do a fine job with honesty and integrity. And good for you Mark, you should shop around. But you should also show loyalty to a shop that treats you with honesty. I know I would tell a customer that constantly shops around and argues with my price where the door is. I will do an honest job at an honest price. If someone wants it done cheaper, there's another shop that will do it cheaper, but not better. The customer will pay more in the long run.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

"But you should also show loyalty to a shop that treats you with honesty. I know I would tell a customer that constantly shops around and argues with my price where the door is."<br /><br />I am 100% with you David, I know Mark has no concept of this he is complaining about prices of his lawn mower part on non-boat tech. It seems there are alot of "Marks" around that are so paranoid they think everyone is out to get them.

Airpacker

Seaman Apprentice

Rubber Frog, take a wild guess where most people keep that little puzzle key to get the lockiong wheel nut off.<br /><br />Notinbig, a bit testy about someone elses auto service follies aren't you?<br /><br />David L Moore, good luck with opening a shop. Its a hard go but you definately seem to have the right attitude. I have been wrenching for 25 years now and had my own place for just over 10. I am not the cheapest guy in town but my customers keep coming back. The penny pinchers just get estimated out the door. Its easier then fightin with them

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree'd Airpacker. I like you have been in bus. for myself, so I take it a bit :D personal. SORRY!

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is not personal toward anyone. Look we can all admit there are crooks out there in every walk of life. However as far as pricing vs work quality. I have found aamco, midas, and justbrakes to be the worst in my experience. Justbrakes cahrges an average of 350.00 for a brake job (news channel did a sting where they took a car into just brakes that had just had a complete check by the dealer that morning. JustBrakes came back with a 300 est. to fix the brakes nothing is wrong with). thats just stealin. aamco and midas are the same. I also go to M&P garages in my area to get work done I cant do myself (not much) because they are reasonable and I am supporting my local economy. <br />Also, Not everyone in the world is knowledgeable with machines. That does not give a business owner the right to screw them over, that is just wrong. Anyway Whether I agree with any of ya'll or not I will defend with my life your right to say it. Thats what democracy is!!!!!<br />P.S. Some of yall need to grow up and not be so thin-skinned.<br />Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day. :cool: <br />Later,