Midas Muffler

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Midas Muffler

I haven't read this whole thread, but...<br /><br />A friend of mine had two new Dynomax mufflers put on his Chevy pickup at Midas recently. As he was showing me I asked how much he spent - $500. I nearly pissed myself laughing. That was for replacement of everything from the cats back, not in stainless. I'd have done it for a case of beer...

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

any shop on any corner will fo that for 350. If you don't know that you deserve what you get!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Easiest way to deal with ripp off merchants? Goes like this:<br /><br />dealer: That'll be $60.<br />you: $40!!! and what do I get for my $20!!!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Notinbig, why so callous? I'll bet if you came into my business, you wouldn't know your arse from a whole in the ground. But, I promise you the wife and I will still only charge you the usual hourly rate of $325. We won't rip you off. Of course, the only way you'll know you're not being ripped off is to get a PhD.<br />To quote you "I say educate and you won't have to debate."

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Had the work done this morning. I have never seen a shop like this. There were 4 bays, 3 were in use. The owner is working on my car, two other guys in the other two bays servicing other cars. The strange part is no one talked. No conversations, no jokes, no chatter. They just worked. It was like it was the "Stepford Garage" or something.<br /><br />Owner did nice work. After checking the system for leaks, he went back and cut off the excess threads on the clamps and hanger rods. I asked why and he said he works on a lot of classics and antiques and the owners like the neater look, so he just does it normally now. Took 50 minutes and its straight, tight and nice welds. Total was $89 with tax. <br /><br />Car has nice growl on acceleration but no annoying resonance at speeds. I'm happy.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by notinbig:<br /> Sounds like you just discovered shopping around Mark42. Is this a new thing for you? Wow I feel bad you've been under that rock(armpit) they call NJ. You have a right to shop around and they have the right to quote you whatever the "book" says they can. Just cause some grease monkey down the road will do it at 6:30 am or on a scheduled appointment for cheap and get ya outa here real quick, I hope he does your next brake job, or tranny work and gets you out in a hurry for real cheap. You'll learn you get what you pay for, and good for you as an American you finnaly relized you can say no and shop around. However get ready to pay for their time for those "estimates" you like to gather. I say educate and you won't have to debate.
Mate, what is up your arse besides sh!t?<br /><br />Nobody you're attacking has said anything but that they want value for money.<br /><br />Some of us have had enough bad experiences with franchise chains and dealer service and small operators that we do as much as we can ourselves. <br /><br />It undermines your support of whatever it is that you're supporting that we're doing that.<br /><br />Others have found good operators who appear to be prepared to work for less than you think they should. So? It's a free market.<br /><br />Or is this just a troll? The lack of substance in your posts suggests that.

LadyFish

Admiral

Sheesh guys, go out and buy you a Thrush, install it yourself and quit bickering.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Sheesh guys, go out and buy you a Thrush, install it overself and quit bickering.
My wife gets thrush now and again.<br /><br />I don't think you can buy it anywhere.<br /><br />It's not something you'd voluntarily instal.

LadyFish

Admiral

Did I say it right? Thrush? Weren't those the ones you could buy at your local auto place for about $25 with Roadrunner (beep beep) on the box?

Tinkerer

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Did I say it right? Thrush? Weren't those the ones you could buy at your local auto place for about $25 with Roadrunner (beep beep) on the box?
I was being intentionally stupid.<br /><br />What is Thrush?

LadyFish

Admiral

LOL I am intentionally stupid all the time too. :p <br /><br />It's a cherry bomb muffler I think.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thrush used to be a very popular cheap-o hot rod muffler available just about everywhere. They were purple with the WB Roadrunner on the side. Don't see them anymore.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Thrush used to be a very popular cheap-o hot rod muffler available just about everywhere. They were purple with the WB Roadrunner on the side. Don't see them anymore.
notinbig probably cornered the market and put them out of business due to the high fitting costs and unique customer service policy. :D :D :D

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Maybe if it would stop snowing at odd times and folks could get their boats on the water for a little therapeutic relaxation and recreation, these crazy arguments would cease...til next year, anyway.<br /><br /><br /> :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />-dd-

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark I am glad you found a good shop. Now the trick is to keep them. If you crack a head next week and this custom shop wants more than the dealer cause they are use to working on a higher breed of car you NEED to pay them. If the shop and guy's are as good as you say, and I am sure they are, you found a GREAT shop, a diamond in the rough. Not all shops stay as busy or are owned by moraly correct people. I have never been a fan of "seven-eleven" type shops however I did manage 6 local shops of that type and never in 10 years did I rip someone off a penny, and niether did my customer service guys, if we did something wrong we'd fix it no charge, and take care of the person and the vehicle. These places get a bad wrap because of people like you that can't get on with their life and have to try to make everybody see things in your light.<br />Again I am glad you found a good shop, but if you really want to know how they are going to perform wait till you really need something done, and they run over on time or under estimate on parts, you'll be back here bad mouthing them too.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Originally posted by notinbig:<br /> These places get a bad wrap because of people like you that can't get on with their life and have to try to make everybody see things in your light.
And what color is the pot and kettle there buddy?

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Already read it, smells as bad as your avatar. Thats they beauty here people slang the sh!t and don't have to look anybody in the eyes. It's easy to type, isn't it Bajapower. You get my point I am sure. People say what they want here, and thats what it's here for, yet you get forty idiot followers saying "Yea my buddy went there and got ripped off". Well how does he know he got ripped off, in repair, the price in only 1/3 of the total picture here.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I think if a shop is consistently overcharging, then one of our members has the right to point it out on this forum. It has the added advantage in that all our members find out what a fair price for a particular job is. I know shops who deliberately overcharge women. The women who read this forum, and see what others are being charged for particular work, then are able to make more informed decisions if they find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to take a car, or boat, in for work.<br /><br />Yes, I am also aware that every job is different, but at least we have a baseline to start from.<br /><br />Chris.........

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

CONSISTENSIE(?) your right that is the key. As I said thats the key to keeping them on your side and working for you not against you. I didn't see anything that says "well it happened again" it reads like this is his first visit to it or any Midas. They probley opened his glove box and say reciepts from 56 different tire and oil change places, dealers for warranty work only, lots of "no charges" You can read customers like this one the minute they walk in the door, They may have estimated high so he'd go the hell away! and waste someone elses time and livley hood by badmouthing them also.