Mice in my cieling

piper_chuck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mice in my cieling

I believe the DECON starts to dehydrate them, then they look for water and after they drink, their guts basically blow.
Well, that's rather dramatic! :eek: From what I understand, most rodent poisons are actually anti-coagulants which cause death through internal bleeding.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The best way to do mass mouse control is a bucket,wire and peanut butter.
Put the wire across the bucket tight and dab the peanut butter on the middle. Make a good ramp up to the top of the bucket and there you go. Best trap ever.

You bet, works great in the hen house were those little @!#$^%%#% eat the grain, the only good mouse is a dead mouse:mad:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am surprised nobody has suggested Mother Nature's best rodent control (even better than cats).

Since you live in Ohio I suggest that you install a bull snake in the above ceiling space (i before e, except after c).

Good luck. :)

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well a70 I was thinking about your problem and I think I have the perfect solution for you,how do you feel about snakes?a boa or a nice black rat snake would do the trick:D:D:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well, that's rather dramatic! :eek: From what I understand, most rodent poisons are actually anti-coagulants which cause death through internal bleeding.

I've heard of both methods.
We use the cat method. So far so good !!:)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The old grey matter aint firing on all cylinders or I would have come back with 20 minutes ago, now the mice are gone how do you get the snake out.:D

204 Escape

Ensign

Regular car antifreeze in a jar lid, -OR- Coca Cola in a jar lid. (A mouse can't belch the coke, and they blow up !!!!!!!!) With the anti-freeze, KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR PETS !!!!! It will kill THEM !!!!!!

I've heard that a TUMS will kill them as well. (I know a Tums will kill tropical fish).

Bigprairie1

Commander

Something very important here....you can NOT release live mice, that you've caught in your house, in your vicinity or even your neighbourhood. Honestly, you would have to drive them miles out of town for them not to find their way back.:eek:
You have to 'dispatch' them or they will be in your house within hours. They have a 6th sense for this stuff and homing in on their last habitat...well known on the record.
As well you have to find out how and where they are getting in and fully seal that off.
Note: they will often not respond to a baited trap the first day or two...they be very wary so be patient.;)
Good luck
BP:):cool:
ps: oh yeah, remember they can get in through an opening the size of a dime so bare that in mind when you seal off any openings.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

My mouse story:

Years back we bought a 3 bedroom ranch in fair condition.
The plywood under the kitchen sink needed to be replaced due to a minor plumbing leak that had been neglected over the years.

As we were cleaning prior to moving in my wife saw a mouse, so i set 3 kill traps with peanut butter and before i could walk from the kitchen to the living room i had caught my first mouse. This went on non stop for what seemed like hours 23 mice later we were mouse free. If you catch more than a few mice don't think its over.....could be a whole nest of them before you are done.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

these are my best traps.

yep, I tried to get the lady of the house to get a cat. she said enough pets but, the neighbor has some pretty stealthy barn cats that like to visit our yard. funny to listen to my dogs as they realize their "territory" is being hunted by a cat.

inside the house if they make it that far I go with traps loaded with PB and Decon. 100 year old farmhouses tend to draw mice and it would take another 100 years to find all the nooks and crannies.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Regular car antifreeze in a jar lid, -OR- Coca Cola in a jar lid. (A mouse can't belch the coke, and they blow up !!!!!!!!) With the anti-freeze, KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR PETS !!!!! It will kill THEM !!!!!!

I've heard that a TUMS will kill them as well. (I know a Tums will kill tropical fish).

you must be a glutton for punishment if you want to start that debate on a public forum. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the problem with poisoning them, is the smell afterwards.

a70eliminator

Captain

Well, after 3 mice my trap is no longer effective, they are eating the PB clean and not setting it off, this trap has little sticky pads and when the mouse tries to step off it trips the trigger, however the sticky doesn't work anymore so I bought another style live catcher + 4 of those typical fashion killers traps just in case.
I think I'll start putting them in a bucket for now, I find it hard to believe that these things are finding their way back from 50yrds away from the house.
I don't want them getting into my boat so I'll just have to quit screwing around and use the snap killers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I epoxy a piece of dog food to the trap. ..or tie it with wire. I also have a bunch of the ratzapper traps and put my chicken scratch at the end of them.

http://www.ratzapper.com/

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The problem of dead mice stinking is why I used glue traps. They completely eliminate this problem.

The trick is to watch the mice to figure out what pathways they are using in the house. Once you do that, place the traps in those pathways and bait with some peanut butter. Put a small amount dead center, so that they have to walk onto the trap to get to it. As I said previously, they tend to follow walls, so that's a good place to start.

???

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Speaking of stink, the Decon is working again. Was filling out Christmas cards, yes we're late, and smelled what seemed to be the begining stench of a dead mouse. Looked under the china cabinet by the dinning room table where I was, there it lay.... Glad we found it right away before it started to decompose to the point of staining the carpet.... Pew........

a70eliminator

Captain

I think our mouse extermination is nearing the end.
7 mice and the last 3 were little baby ones about 1-1/2" long I'm thinking it's a good sign.
Everyone is getting into the action now!

Attachments

• michigan 004.jpg
    michigan 004.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • michigan 002.jpg
    michigan 002.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like a war zone!lol
Glad the enemy is being defeated.
A farmer friend suggested a bucket with molassase and a ramp leading to the rim. Once mice fall in they are done. Fill 2" . He uses a barrel for rats in his barn.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

love the pic of the cat. he has that look like who the heck let this guy in here?

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

They get smart about the PB. Friend of mine showed me a trick. Wrap some string (about the diam. of kite string) around the lever, where the PB would go, a few times. Tie it off good, then dip it in bacon grease. They love it, plus they try to pull on the string. Gets them every time. I live in the midwest, beside a farm field. Every year we would catch 5-8 of them as soon as the fields are harvested (gotta kill them or they'll come right back). Finally, this year I found a hole where the electricity for the dishwasher comes in. Put some steel wool in it, they can't chew through that, and then sprayed expanding foam. Haven't seen a mouse, or signs of one since! Wife loves me again.