MFG Calendars????

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: MFG Calendars????

I hope my hull and deck comes out as good looking as your top! Great job! Keep going!

Did you spray or brush the top?

I just bought an HVLP sprayer ($40.00) at Lowes. I have no confidence in my being able to brush that large an area and have it come out to suit me. Especially the top deck.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just did mine with a roller:

IMG_0133.jpg

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW! Looks great from here! What was the paint and color? Did you use any additives? thinners?

That looks very close to the '57 Chevy Tropical Turquoise I was Interested in.

Is your rub strake painted wood?

You are on the home stretch! I'll bet you are getting anxious!

Jon Sob

Yep .... I feel like I am over the hump now ...lol. All the repairs are done and now I have to put everything back together. I used Valspar paint from Tractor Supply and artist oils from the hobby store for tint. I added thinner and hardener. As for the color .... I blended blue and green tint with white paint to get the color that I was looking for. I wanted a color very close to that '57 chevy color. I mixed up two quarts and used about 1 1/2 quarts so I have 1/2 a quart leftover for touch up.

I used what is called the roll n roll method which is similar to the roll n tip but you don't use the brush but two rollers instead. Here is a video on roll n tip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo&feature=related

This is what I used:
IMG_0129.jpg

Here is where I got all of the info I needed for the paint job. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982&page=10&p=3302799#post3302799

I like the roll n roll because you don't have the over spray or the fumes.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

My hard top was painted just like Jon's top cap. Roll and Roll method with 2 - 6" foam rollers. Works great when you git the hang of it!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jon how bout a pic of your keel repair! Not that I want to bring up any bad memories or anything..:rolleyes: :D

You did an outstanding job on that BTW!!

Jon Sob

Do you mean when I found this:
DSCF1893.jpg

And had to replace it with this:
DSCF1906.jpg

And had to cover it with this:
DSCF1957.jpg

To get it to look like this:
DSCF2088-1.jpg

Which was painted with the roll n roll method also.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yep ! Good stuff ta fix the bad stuff!;)

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow Jon, you're doing a great job on her , she looks real good, i may have to try that roll method on mine.
By the way we have gone out in mine every weekend so far except 1 for about 5 weeks now, been having a great time:)

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sp, great job on the transom and top!!!, what motor are you gonna put on her?

Jon Sob

wow Jon, you're doing a great job on her , she looks real good, i may have to try that roll method on mine.
By the way we have gone out in mine every weekend so far except 1 for about 5 weeks now, been having a great time:)

Thanks man ...... that's great that you have been out that much ..... nice to be in Florida and not Ohio ...lol.

Jon Sob

Hey sp ..... that's my truck in the background.

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well If I can get this one running
IMG00318-20111027-1726.jpg

Iwill use it if not this one runs good.
DSC00272.jpg

I had a 105 chrysler that looked just like that on my seacruiser before i quit using it about 10 years ago, that was actually a great motor, very basic and dependable, easy to work on

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks man ...... that's great that you have been out that much ..... nice to be in Florida and not Ohio ...lol.

Yea, its been great weather down here for sure. Taking her out again tomorrow to Cayo Costa island a bit north of Sanibel island

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here it is a bright, beautiful sunny morning in PA. Not a breath of wind ... great for painting ... except it's only 37 Degrees!!

Easter Sunday afternoon looks like my window for first coat on the hull. Temps look good, if only the wind dies some.

Jon Sob

Good luck Steve .... I'll have my fingers crossed for you Sunday. Maybe you can tie up an old rope and hang a tarp over it and use it as a windbreaker. Just a thought.

woosterken

Lieutenant

hey, can I add one more picture?
this is my boy with "gypsy lady" in action :)

008-1.jpg

woosterken

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

That shots definitely ready for the calender! I love the checkered flag logo!