Mew,Mew

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When my engine is idling there is a mew sound like a kitten every 5 seconds or so and it seems to be coming from the alternator ...any ideas?..It has me totally bewildered...thanks,Bob

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: Mew,Mew

That's very odd....

Bearing squeaking/failing? Does a shot of lubricant stop it for at least a little while? Does it work?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... probably just Belt noise...

halfmoa

Ensign

I was thinking belt noise too but once every 5 seconds is a LONG serpentine...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking belt noise too but once every 5 seconds is a LONG serpentine...

His 3.0 has an old fashioned V-belt...a shot of belt dressing would determine if his belt is slipping, or glazed.

More than likely, he has got a catfish caught on the leading edge of his outdrive...and wants to be freed! ;)

All kidding aside, it is almost impossible to use a forum to 'fix' a "mew, mew". I only hope that he tells us what it ended up being!

Happy boating!

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try some belt dressing and will also check my drive ..lol..thanks for the tips....I will not see the boat for a week but will post any changes...Bob:D

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Before spraying anything on the belt, try removing it first. Then run the engine and see if the sound goes away. It will help narrow it down at least.

Bondo

Staff member

I will try some belt dressing and will also check my drive ..lol..thanks for the tips....I will not see the boat for a week but will post any changes...Bob:D

Ayuh,... I carry a bar of Lava hand soap in all of my toolboxes, just for that reason,...

Not fer hand washin'...

ya don't even need to take it outa the package,...
Just rub it on the belt while idin'...
Careful of yer fingers though...

halfmoa

Ensign

His 3.0 has an old fashioned V-belt...

Shows what I know lol. Put me in front of a big block mopar, throw me a grand, and tell me to make it go fast and I'm your man....boating is a new beast to me.

I do like the Lava bar idea though...putting that to use on the tow vehicle before we go out and freeze our keesters off on the new tube.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Shows what I know lol. Put me in front of a big block mopar, throw me a grand, and tell me to make it go fast and I'm your man....boating is a new beast to me.

I do like the Lava bar idea though...putting that to use on the tow vehicle before we go out and freeze our keesters off on the new tube.

What "tube" have you got?

The first time that I pulled the 'bride' in our tube, I wasn't aware of the 'under 25 mph' rule of thumb. I would look back and see her waving, and guessed that she was telling me to 'pick it up another notch'! By the time it was all over, she couldn't sit properly for a week...and hardly talked to me for a month.

Now that I think about it, that month of silence wasn't all that bad....

Happy (MOPAR) boating!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't this belong in the Cat forum? Oh, wait... we don't have one. If you stop putting food in the bilgr, it'll eventually starve to death, and will stop making noise.

sorry, couldn't resist.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We, too, have heard the mew mew noise. Started right after I changed the engine circulating pump on a 1998 350 MAG. First noticed it at idle, but it can appear intermittently p to about 3400 rpm. We put about 45 hours on her since that and the mew mew hasn't gotten any worse and perhaps a little better since that. Now we don't hear it at idle but do when we start to throttle up. Just keeping our fingers crossed because I cannot tell where the noise is coming from - just sounds like it moves around the turning stuff on the front of the engine.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Yeah... you sure you checked everything?

V

Attachments

• 60864.jpg
    60864.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0

lilpropst

Cadet

I've always preferred my engines to be "purring like a kitten".
I like the lava soap idea...

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah... you sure you checked everything?

V

Well, I have raised the engine cover and listened and one time I think the noise is coming from the engine water pump, another time from the idler pulley and yet another time from the alternator. I just can't tell and don't know how to check out the individual items since they all run off the same serpentine belt.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I have raised the engine cover and listened and one time I think the noise is coming from the engine water pump, another time from the idler pulley and yet another time from the alternator. I just can't tell and don't know how to check out the individual items since they all run off the same serpentine belt.

Throw some catnip in the bilge, and see if the mew mew goes for it.

P.S. I know that I'm not the only one to figure out that his problem is probably really a 'meow meow', and we are totally on the wrong diagnosis page?

2nav5ua.jpg

Shawnee

Cadet

Thinking voltage regulator checking battery voltage periodically and adjusting field current to charge battery? What happens if you put on all electrical items ie lights, pumps, stereo? Does MewMew change in cycle?

Is it the boat in your signature? 2001 Chaparral SSE 180 Mercruiser 3.0 alpha one gen 2 ?

Love the responses though...gotta know with all the knowledge on this site, everyone wants to have fun!

Cheers,

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is the boat in my signature...I was at the lake yesterday to take it out for the season and my battery was dead...could have left anchor lights on but not sure...anyway I had another battery and replaced it.and didnt notice any mew ...I have it at home now and will start it up and listen this wknd.....regards,Bob

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK ..I am now at home ,start the motor and this gawd awful shreik comes from the engine as it starts...it lasts for about 4 seconds and leaves...my belts slipping for sure....after about a minute or two at idle I hear the mew ...if I listen from one side it comes from the alternator ..if I listen from the other side it seems to come from the p.s. reservoir ...my neighbor hears the same thing...I put a long screw driver to my ear and touch various areas and I seem to hear it better when it touches the housing behind the center pulley ..what the heck is going on....bewildered Bob

Volphin

Lieutenant

Water pump perhaps? The bearing may be going south.

V