meth

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: meth

I could go on for days about this! I teach a class for EMT's, firemen, and other cops about meth. I break it down into a short history, the physical effects it has, the chemicals used, and the process of a lab. My classes are from 1 to 8 hours depending on the audiance. <br />I have been working for a little over 10 years with a federal task force, and a local task force focused on narcotics. This is about all we see now. We average 1 meth lab a month in my area. <br />Do a search on the net for the history of meth, it will shock you. It has been used in the military, the Japanese used it, Germany used it, and the allied forces used it. Then it became legal as a diet pill, a treatment for addiction to Herion, and other drugs.<br />After WWII it became popular with the biker gangs. They had the directions to make it, but not the chemical knowhow or the ability to get the chemicals. They went to the colleges, namely Berkley, and convinced some chemistry students to make it trading women for the cooking. In the recent years it has been turned over to the other drug gangs namely the Mexican Mafia. <br />In the past we found what was called P2P labs or red P, they used red phosperous and other volatile chemicals. These labs werew what you would expect to find with the glassware and hotplates. These were the labs that would blow up and destroy entire buildings. <br />Now here we are fighting what we call the bathroom cooks or nazi cooks. The cold cook method has taken over. <br />The hardest thing to get is ether. BUT they use starting fluid, they just have to boil it first. <br />Now the labs we find are pyrex dishes, plastic bottles, whatever will hold liquid. <br />The most common method is using pseudaphedarine. Ephedarine is an amphetamine. Through a chemical process they re-attach one oxygen molecule to make methamphetamine. <br />First take the pills and soak them in anhydrous amonia (fertilizer). Anhydrous is very deadly. It is like propane, comes in a gas that will freeze on contact. Many people steel anhydrous from farm yards. Many people get dead or severely burnt doing this. They store it in old propane grill bottles, but they don't know that the anhydrous eats away at the valves and eventually blows the valve. Others will carry it in a thermos, but when they fill the thermos they hold the thermos between the legs and open the valve freezing their buddy off. <br />Anyway, soak the cold pills in anhydrous and add lithuim strips pulled out of lithium batteries. Be careful here, lithuim introduced to liquid will explode. Another step in this process is to take muriatic acid and add aluminum foil. This produces hydrogen gas. They direct this gas through a tube into the mixture. This causes the meth to crystalize and settle to the bottom. This is filtered through coffee filters and soaked in Naptha (coleman camp fuel, nutane lighter fluid etc.). <br />The purity rates we find is anywhere from 3 to 8% pure. The old labs would give us 90 to 98% pure dope. The price has dropped too down to about $40 a gram. A gram is about a dime size lump of the stuff. <br />Now we are finding what they are calling Ice on the streets. It is not exactly ice, it still has a purity of around 5 to 10%. Pure ice has a purity of 99 to 100%. Ice is the equilivent to meth as crack is to coke. <br />Street names are ice, powder, speed, crank, and the list goes on.<br />During the Clinton administration we lost almost all of the funding for drug enforcement so we lost investigators and the rescources needed to go after it. For every law made to help fight this drug the supreme court makes new case law to tie our hands. I know right now exactly where 3 labs are located in my county but can't do a thing about it. No probable cause. The laws enacted to help, they made the possession of anhydrous illegal except for farm use. SO they found they can use Parsons Amonia instead. They made it illegal to buy more than 3 boxes of pseudophederine. (how many people go through 3 boxes in a month anyway). Now the dopers have to go from store to store buying 3 and stealing 4. Now they want to put it behind the counters like tobacco. They are not proposing to make it prescription like in some states. <br />The feds made a public statement last month that the efforts (advewrtisemnets and public service announcements) have caused a reduction in meth labs. idiots don't know that in reality there are more labs than ever. They are just un-touchable because of supreme courts case law, and they are now mobile and almost impossible to find. People are cooking on the county roads outside of town, throwing the waste in culverts. One man here was even cooking on his boat in the middle of the lake. If he was in danger of getting caught he dumped everything overboard. All of his waste went into the lake.<br />Labs are also extremely dangerous because of the chemicals in the air. It is an acid atmosphere. If you think a lab may be in the house look at the metal fixtures. Vents, curtain rods, etc. They will be rusted. The last lab we took down, the lab was in the basement and was vented up through the roof. The gas line and all water lines, the brand new water heater and the furnace was covered in rust. <br />Another problem, this acid is heavier than air so it settles. Children in the house then crawl through this acid cloud. I have seen paramedics and other poeple exit a lab and find a rash on their lower legs from the fumes. <br />Every lab I have been to, I have been physically ill for weeks after. All my guys are ill for at least a week after. It just feels like an irritation or a minor cold, and we all feel week and drained. <br />The lab team has chemical suites and the entire haz mat gear, but I am on the entry team (similar to SWAT but different name). We go in first to asses the scene and determine if the lab guys are needed. <br />The last one we took down, one of my partners looked through an open window by putting his face and hands on the window. He broke out in a painful rash wherever he touched the screen.<br />Meth causes extreme paranoia. It is similar to PCP in it's effects. I have seen people standing in their yard watching a tree for hours and hours because they think cops are in the tree. There are also those we call drape apes. They spend days running from window to window peaking out through the drapes thinking they are being watched. I love messing with these people. I park in front of their house and do my paperwork. It is good fun for at least an hour watching them watching me from window to window.<br />Then we have the carpet farmers. I have seen people when they run out of the stuff pick through the carpet thinking they lost some. I have seen people when I was undercover search an entire room fibre by fibre. <br />Human urine is a high dollar commodity here too. If a person has a drug test for parole, probation, employement etc, they buy clean urine. They sell special under pants with bladders sewn in to hide the urine in. <br />Like I said I could go on for days about this.

PW2

Commander

I'm curious, Boom.<br /><br />You ever pull a muscle twisting things around so you can blame Hillary and the libs for everything?<br /><br />It seems to me that this country has taken a decided shift to the right politically, and our problems with drugs and the like are getting worse and worse. Hmm.. I wonder if there is a correlation?<br /><br />It used to be such a simple world, but then nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Fixin:<br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> The pills are the main ingredient---no pills-no dope.
Absolutely not the case Fixin. This is just another feelgood piece of legislation that will not make a dent in the problem.
:confused: How can it not?<br />It's the only thing that they must have to make the stuff.The only other option I see is making it all in liquid form.
You're not listening!!! It's the liberals!! IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />It's really starting to get pathetic, no, really.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Finally they get it. It is the liberal judges letting dealers off cuz they were treated bad by their mothers or the cops didn't read them their rights in 15 languages. Perhaps all those liberal "treatment" programs just are not playing out. Perhaps its the liberal mantra of you have no right to judge me BS or you can't profile a drug dealer lunacy. How about the liberal hollywood belief that drug dealing is somehow glamourous. But we can't stop them because they are just going to do it anyway, right? Let's hand out some government funded needles or spoons or pipes or straws to the poor sobs.<br /><br />I really like the concept of tent camps in the desert for our friends who have problems with self control. But jail without cable and HBO is cruel and unusual. (liberal)<br /><br />If society shunned (based on individuals judging) this slime and showed them valuable skills like breaking big rocks into little rocks, therapy might work better. Good thing we are keeping god out of the schools. Those 10 commandments might actually create a conscience in these kids. I think it is sad that someone feels the need to augment their existance with chemicals cuz they can't control their minds or bodies. <br /><br />I don't believe hillary is the root of all evil, just a megalamaniac without any guiding values or beliefs who lives in a world where the ends justify the means. I feel sorry when the left can only get their beliefs threw the courts, and enter into the politics of personal destruction when a real judge is promoted. Pathetic, I couldn't agree more.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

i also read that if your diagnossed with "a.d.d" the pill you take contains the stuff...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Hmm.. I wonder if there is a correlation?
Only in your world PW. You just never learned (inspite of your critical thinking skills, ahem, another liberal term) to connect the dots in a straight line.<br /><br />I'll help you out a bit. Even though the conservatives have a lock on the the political front, we are a long way from undoing the cultural damage, at the hands of the liberals, from the last 50 years. We are also a long way from undoing the Judicial legislative power that the libs have used to get their way these last 50 years.<br /><br />But don't you fret PW. You come late to the liberal mind set. There are many, even many of your ilk that have learned that historical lessons developed over the ages have great merit.<br /><br />The answer to this problem resides in the family not the village. The bulk of Meth is produced from ingredients brought in illegally not from my little stash of Actifed hay fever pills.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

But remember back to the 60's 70's and 80's when meth was produced in hot labs. Using red phospherous and other good stuff. Back in those days pseudoephedrine was not used. They used other chemicals to produce the amphetamine, then re-attached the O2 molecule. Getting rid of pseudo will only force them back to the P2P labs. Instead of pouring money into advertisements telling us not to use or cook it, pour money into punishing those who do. Now the government is spending big big money on DRUG COURTS! what a joke these are. Once a month they have to go to drug court and tell the "judge" that they are an addict. They then tell them they haven't used in however long, drop a urine sample and go about their business. Drug court is just glorified ISP (intentive supervised probation). Recidivism is at an all time high, but the money is still being dumped into the programs. <br />Most citizens would be shocked beyond belief at how much money was taken away from fighting meth, and where this money has been spent. <br />Also check case law from the supreme courts on search and seizure. It would amaze you all at the hand tying going on.<br />It's here to stay.

rwise

Captain

turning in labs doesn't always get anything done either. I have turned in 2 and my parents have turned in several. Nothing was done in any of them, a couple we destroyed ourself. If the perps are making their payments they have protection.

D

DJ

JB Wrote:<br /><br />
The next day the Sheriff had to rescue the perp from local citizens.<br />
That's my kind of justice-Texas style.<br /><br />We've proven that trying to dry up the supply of any drug DOES NOT work. The only way to stop it is to dry up the desire. How we do that? I have some ideas, but they wouldn't be welcome to the vast majority.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Turning these in usually won't give immediate results. The burden of proof that must be met before doing anything about it is so great. What law enforcement needs is 1, how do you know it is a lab? We must be 101%certain before getting a warrant, 99%certain before knocking on the door and asking consent to search. 2, how do you know it is in the location, or was there within the past 8 to 12 hours. <br />The information must be posative as to what we are seaking, must be legal and gained in a legal manner. Even if you get this information illegally without my knowing, and turn it over to me, I can't use it. To prove that a lab, or whatever it may be, is in a location I must know how you know it is a lab. If you just say "I just know it" then it is no good. The courts have to hear things like "I am a meth user and know it", or "they told me and showed me what they were doing". <br />Like I said right now I know for a fact where 3 are in my county. I have a good idea where a 4th is, but I can't do a thing about it. I have known for 3 months or more, but can not get enough proof rounded up. <br />It's not what we know, it is what we can prove.<br /><br />I am all for building a gallows on the courthouse lawn and hanging a few. That would help some. <br />It is definately NOT a good idea to smash labs up. You contanimate yourself and the area, and the risk of explosion is so high. A meth lab is a small hydrogen bomb waiting for an ignition point. I have also been into labs that have been mined with firearms, acetone peroxide (home made C4), cyanide gas generators, lightbulbs filled with gasoline set to explode in a fireball when the light switch is flipped, shotgun shells in rat traps, and a few other creative traps. Not something you want to stumble into.

D

DJ

I think deputydawg nailed it.<br /><br />We no longer have a justice system, we have a legal system.<br /><br />Big difference.<br /><br />The laws are so far tilted toward the direction of the accused, it's becoming impossible to excersize justice.

Skinnywater

Commander

It's here to stay.<br />
Alright, make it and all drugs legal. <br />Take the money that is used for investigation, arrest proceedures and prosecution and spend it on a massive education campaign. Even temporarily increase spending.<br />Hold back enough for clean-up, body bags and treatment. Although it's important to note, money is currently being used for clean-up, body bags and treatment, even long term. <br />With-in a years time crime would drop through the floor. Drug use would substantially lower and by the time the education programs take effect everything would stabilize at a much lower rate.<br />Money, time and effort at that time would be more efficiently spent managing illegal activitys while being high. I.E., driving, being a menace, etc.<br /><br />The drug war is decades old and has done little more than raise the value of illegal drugs and crime. It has filled prison systems with a lot of non-violent offenders. It has also done very little to catch big time suppliers.<br />The money involved with illegal drugs is astounding. So astounding that we'd just be fooling ourselves to think it will even be mildly contained.<br /><br />I'm afraid though, the money that is used nationally to combat, prosecute, and jail offenders is such an astounding amount of money that disrupting that supply will prove equally as addictive as well.

rwise

Captain

deputydawg the last one I took from the perps, I met the sheriff there (put my shotgun down when he got there) ask him to try for a search warrant and he would not. There were 2 mobile homes, one with chemicals and one with glass ware, both were moved out by 5am. And yes I shot one of them! And one of these days I'll find him, he's the spotted bassterd!<br /><br />Guess I should also say that they fired the first shot, came through the wall of my home and landed in the middle of the floor.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

rwise, sounds like you need a new Sheriff in town. Sounds like he was either scared, lazy, or on the take. Probably lazy. The paperwork is a killer, and the expense can also break a county pretty fast if any mistakes are made.