Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

Someone mentioned e-tec. I know that's not one of your choices, but, that gets my vote.... The efficiency of a 4 stroke and all the performance of a 2 stroke....... Seems to be the best of both worlds.....

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Unfortunately,E-TEC is not one of my choices,...and the reasons why are that I still don't buy into Evinrude's claims and advertisements that you can run that motor three years or 300 hours without maintenance,run it full throttle right out of the box without a break-in period first,and that it can run five hours without oil,...even if it's at a reduced RPM. No outboard is totally maintenance free for that long and I just don't see HOW you can run a motor without oil for five hours even if it's at a reduced RPM. I wouldn't run a lawn mower for fifteen seconds without oil,so why risk a $5,0000.00 motor five hours without oil? Nope,...I will stay with Yamaha,guys! My mind is now made up!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Don't you think Evinrude would be up to their ears with problems both at dealers and factory not to mention on this great forum right here if any of their claims were un proven.
I don't think they are suggesting running their motors without oil. The point is their system works and it isn't your fathers outboard.
The Yamaha is a great motor good luck with it.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I read boat related topics a lot, and I have to say that I have yet to read about any chronic problems with the ETec line of motors. I don't have one myself, but if you're into 2-strokes, then to me the ETec looks like a great option.

On my personal boat I run a Honda 4-stroke that I bought new in 1999, and that thing has been a year-round work horse. Based partially on price and greatly on the reputation of Tohatsu, I just picked up a new little 6-HP Tohatsu 4-stroke for my jon boat. It does vibrate like a lawn more with only half a blade, but otherwise it runs nice and just sips the gas. We're getting about 2 hours of trolling (near idle speed) on 1/6 gal of gas.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Whether I upgrade to the Fury 1400 or keep my A-14,...one thing is for sure,...I'm sticking with Yamaha! I'm done with two strokes and I won't buy the E-TEC at any cost!

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well,...after much thought,...I have now decided against the EFI Mercury! Judging from past experience with Mercury,...I just don't feel I can trust them anymore. The Yamaha may be a carbureted motor,but I have decided to stay with Yamaha for many reasons,...1. I already have one on the present boat and it has served me well,...2. Yamaha's reputation for reliability,...3. It has features Mercury doesn't have such as the flush attachment you can use to flush the motor without having to start the engine,. 4. Ease of service,..and 5.Yamaha's reputation for constant innovations and improvement on their products,...along with high customer satisfaction! I might add that the Yamaha on the present boat REPLACED a Mercury as well,...and for good reason! I feel I have now made an even better choice to stay with Yamaha,...biggest reason being reliability!

Good choice, I like mine.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Good choice, I like mine.

Made the choice to stick with Yamaha,and I'm not looking back! Glad to see you're running them,to! Hey,...I see you're a ham radio operator,too! Noticed your Maritime Mobile call sign of KD4LZL,...my call is KC9SYJ operating a fixed station. I hang out on 40 meter band alot and venture over to 10 and 20 meters occasionally!

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made the choice to stick with Yamaha,and I'm not looking back! Glad to see you're running them,to! Hey,...I see you're a ham radio operator,too! Noticed your Maritime Mobile call sign of KD4LZL,...my call is KC9SYJ operating a fixed station. I hang out on 40 meter band alot and venture over to 10 and 20 meters occasionally!

Hello Dewey, good to meet you. I see your in Indiana, that would be far enough away to make a QSO. Do you check in on any nets, I'm on SCARS (South cars) mostly on Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat and Sun. it starts at 8am till 1pm. check it out. if you want we can schedule a QSO on the weekend ??? I'm running a Kenwood TS 590 with Buckmaster long wire at the base and on the pontoon, a Yeasu FT 450 with a Terheel II 73s KD4LZL

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Hello Dewey, good to meet you. I see your in Indiana, that would be far enough away to make a QSO. Do you check in on any nets, I'm on SCARS (South cars) mostly on Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat and Sun. it starts at 8am till 1pm. check it out. if you want we can schedule a QSO on the weekend ??? I'm running a Kenwood TS 590 with Buckmaster long wire at the base and on the pontoon, a Yeasu FT 450 with a Terheel II 73s KD4LZL

From time to time,I check into MCars(MidCars) net on 7.258(8 am until 2 pm),68 Group on 7.268(3 pm to 5 pm daily),NightWatch net on 7.190-7.192(frequency varies at times and at 6 pm to 7 pm),and when possible,Corn Cobbers net on 7.274.10 from 6 am to 8 am daily. Would be happy to schedule a weekend QSO,...Saturday or Sunday afternoon would work,...what time and band/frequency? As I said,I hang out on 40 meter band alot. My HF rig is a Yaesu FT-950 running 100 watts barefoot into a G5RV antenna and using a manually operated MFJ-941E tuner,...this set up has been serving me quite well,...though I am thinking about upgrading to an OCF dipole,or a newer and better G5RV,...I love wire antennas,they have done quite well for me! No mobile rig right now,though! I'm a General Class operator,so I have to stay within 7.180 to 7.290 on 40 meter phone! Don't know CW yet!

Last edited: