Mercury sportjet 175 xr2 rectifier problem

I burned up two recrifiers last summer. Im fixing to start workin on boat for this summer? Anyone know what the culprit coukd be to cause multiple rectifier failures?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What year motor? Different years had different charging systems. Some had rectifiers, some had voltage regulators, some had both.

Rectifiers blow when the battery and ground are not making a good connection with the rectifier.

merc850

Commander
Boosting a low or dead battery, bad grounds in motor, using a deep-cycle battery.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Plus one on boost/jump starting being the main cause of this. Happens when jumped off a running car or truck.

merc850

Commander
Connecting the battery backwards for just a second will also fry them.
The marine batteries I've had came with wing nuts (?) to attach the cables - I replace them with SS Nylock nuts that don't come loose or corrode.

Its a sea raider 175 xr2 merc sj. Im thinking 98 but idk even know for sure lol. I have a marine crank battery in it. 800 cca.

Connecting the battery backwards for just a second will also fry them.
The marine batteries I've had came with wing nuts (?) to attach the cables - I replace them with SS Nylock nuts that don't come loose or corrode.
It could have been the starter ground too. I put a cheapo amazon starter on it. The first one melted before starter and 2nd one after. The 2nd one went pretty quick maybe 3 trips. Then tach went loco.