mercury side mount control-safety switch?

rooster4

Cadet
staring issue. we had been on the water a while and actually moved several times with no issues. then on the final move i went to start the engine, and it wouldn't do anything. the buzzers, guages, tilt trim every thing worked, except no engine turn over. i moved the throttle control forward and reverse several times, no change. after loading the boat and just for kicks i tried the ignition one last time. the motor fired right up?

Is there some sort of nuetral safety switch inside the controller?

2001 Mercury XP150
Side Mount Controller Mercury 300 on the label
2000 Triton SF-18

the controller does have the push in button that lets you use the lever for the fast idle.

any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury side mount control-safety switch?

Yes -- all controls have a provision that disables the starter if the lever is not in neutral. This eliminates the possibility of pitching someone overboard if the operator could start the engine with the engine "in gear". The kill switch lanyard does the same thing but it kills the ignition stopping the engine in an emergency. It will not disable the starter though -- it just kills the engine.

rooster4

Cadet

could that be the issue and how do i go about diagnosing it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

you cannot reach a conclusion with test equipment when the malfunction is not happening. So unless you know how to use a test light, voltmeter, or ohm meter testing will not be possible. If you do understand this test equipment, you can't test until the failure appears. Before then, you need to obtain a wiring diagram for your control box and engine. Then test continuity of the switch in the control box. If it tests ok, then look at continuity between the "B" (battery) and "S" (solenoid) terminals on the ignition switch when the key is in the start position. If that tests ok, then ensure you get 12 volts on the small terminal on the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position. If that checks ok the solenoid is suspect. HOWEVER -- before throwing parts at the problem and before getting all worked up about this, disconnect, clean, and inspect the battery cables on both ends and make sure they are tight. Looking is not checking. Disassembly and cleaning is the required action.