mercury marine engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1newbee

Recruit
I bought a 1969 starcraft with a 120hp mercury marine engine. I have searched several sites and found that manuals for that year are hard to find. What I need to know right now is what oil do I use? The fill cap says Kiekheafer formula 4. Defenantly a newbee question I'm not new to engine maintenance, just boats.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury marine engine oil

I bought a 1969 starcraft with a 120hp mercury marine engine. I have searched several sites and found that manuals for that year are hard to find. What I need to know right now is what oil do I use? The fill cap says Kiekheafer formula 4. Defenantly a newbee question I'm not new to engine maintenance, just boats.

I use 10/40, but most guys will tell you to use a straight 30 or 40 wt. Any of them will fine.

#1newbee

Recruit

Thank you for the tip sethjon.

There is no differance between engine oil and marine engine oil?

Matt89GT

Seaman Apprentice

yet ANOTHER oil thread, Buddy use what ever oil you want from wolfs head brand from the dollar store to super tech at wal mart, as long as you change it you will be fine, was kidding on thee dollar general brand oil however use what ever you want and you will be fine.

#1newbee

Recruit

that's what i wanted to hear. However, as with all my other engines, all i need now is time to change it.

45Auto

Commander

Seems like almost everyone around here with an I/O runs Mobil 1 20W-50 from Wal-Mart, $20/5 quart jug, change it once a year.

Mercruiser oil recommendations below:

MercOil.jpg

#1newbee

Recruit

Thanks 45Auto. I found a link on another thread,from a new mercruiser service bulletin, that showed that chart but i coudn't read it very well. I think I'm on my way to town and get this thing ready.
:cool:

blueyecb

Cadet

i just put a used 3.0 in my boat an used harley 20/50 syn in it an seems to work fine ....

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

My opinion......the type or brand of oil has less of an impact to a marine engine's life, than most other things. Corrosion, cooling problems, etc.....usually kill boat engines. Engines should run fine with standard/generic "dinosaur oil".

Status
Not open for further replies.