Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

cpad1975

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
3
I appologize for sounding like a dummy, but I am needing some help. I just bought an old Thundercraft with a 1975 Mercury 850 Thunderbolt. I want to rewire the entire boat, and understand the basics for guages etc, but the tilt/trim motor just clicks going up and does nothing going down. I want to rewire all of this also, but need some help. A wiring diagram would help. I'm not familiar with the tilt/trim motor wiring either. It seems to be a motor with a solenoid attached to the side of it. Two wires have been spliced from the spaghetti wiring and are sent to the hydraulic arms. This is also a big mystery to me because there are no electronics near the arms. Maybe 2 groung wires? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.<br />cpad33@comcast.net
 

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,325
Re: Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

My tilt/trim motor will do the same thing on my Merc 35 (same mechanism). I tap it with a hammer and it will work. Sounds like you need to replace the solenoid.<br /><br />I'm getting ready to add the cmc PT-130 which has a 6" setback and tilt/trim and get rid of the heavy pump/motor and expensive parts for the tilt/trim. I had to replace 1 hose.....EXPENSIVE!!!!!!<br /><br />Check into the PT-130....I think you'll find a better route than going back with the heavy Merc stuff.
 

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 23, 2002
Messages
11,195
Re: Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

Ditto on KeltonKrew suggestion. Get rid of that bulky T+T and go with the CMC. For the money you would spend anyway to repair the old one or find a new unit, you will wind up ahead.<br /><br /> web page
 

cpad1975

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
3
Re: Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

Thanks for the tip guys, buy I've drained my funds for now. That will definitely be my next purchase. Does anyone have any of the diagrams I was looking for?
 

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
158
Re: Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

Wiring diagrams are in Seloc Manuals sold at iboats and some marine dealers. Some public libraries have the manuals also.
 

cpad1975

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
3
Re: Mercury 850 & tilt trim motor

Thanks guys, but I got gutsy today and decided to take the whole thing apart. It turned out to be the springs that push the brushes out were a little corroded. The brushes weren't making good contact. I cleaned and lubed her up a little, and she's working better than ever. Hopefully I'll get a couple more years out of her before I get that new one you mentioned. Thanks again!
 
Top