mercury 7.5 wiring problem

uk-shirty

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
3
mercury 7.5 wiring problem
hi just brought a mercury 7.5 thunder bolt ignition not sure of the year?!, only getting 1 spark to lead any idea's? im not sure where the wires go, any help would be grateful
 

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
234
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

Any idea what your Serial Number is? With that we can find the year model and get some more specifc info on your motor.
 

uk-shirty

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
3
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

hi there thanx serial no is 902882 thanx shaun
 

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
234
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

I'm not too sure how much this will help, but maybe it's a good start. First, here is a simple legend of Mercury's color codes.

1. BLACK -> GROUND
2. BROWN -> Reference Electrode MerCathode System
3. ORANGE -> Anode Electrode MerCathode System
4. LIGHT BLUE / WHITE STRIPE -> Trim UP Switch
5. LIGHT GREEN / WHITE STRIPE -> Trim DOWN Switch
6. BROWN/WHITE STRIPE -> Trim Sender to Trim Gauge
7. PURPLE / WHITE STRIPE -> Trim "Trailer" Switch
8. GRAY -> Tachometer Signal
9. BLACK / YELLOW STRIPE -> Shorting or Stop Circuit
10. PINK -> Fuel Sender to Gauge
11. RED -> Un-fused Wire from Battery
12. RED / PURPLE STRIPE -> Protected (Fused) Wire from Battery and/or
Protected (12 Volt +) to Trim Panel Control
13. PURPLE -> Ignition (Switch) to 12 Volt Positive
14. TAN -> Temperature Switch to Warning Horn and/or
Temperature Sender to Temperature Gauge
15. TAN / /BLUE STRIPE -> Alternate Color Temperature Switch to Warning Horn
16. YELLOW Starter -> Solenoid to Starter Motor and/or
Starter to Regulator (Charging Circuit)
17. YELLOW / RED STRIPE -> Start Switch to Start Solenoid to Neutral Start Switch
18. YELLOW / BLACK STRIPE -> Choke (Enrichener System)
19. GREEN / VARIOUS STRIPE -> Switch Box to Coil - Striped and Numbered
20. WHITE / BLACK STRIPE -> Bias Circuit (Switch Boxes)

Further to that, check out these engine diagrams. I'm not positive this is your motor, but based on the serial number I believe it is or is at least close. Check out the diagrams and make sure it's your motor. If so, it will give you some additional diagrams that may help.

I hope this helps... Keep us posted...
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

5.jpg
 

uk-shirty

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
3
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

thanx for your help everyone what a fab site :)
 

duststang

Seaman
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
66
Re: mercury 7.5 wiring problem

I know this is old but thanks everyone I found this so helpful. I have a 1972 7.5hp Mercury the wires from the switch box to the coils are complete broken & rotten. I should have checked better before purchasing and taking someone's word that everythign works great. anyways I am rewiring and this is the best info I have found thus far. thanks you guys rock.
 
Top