Mercury 1998 150 V6 efi 2 stroke issue

Josh13250

Recruit
Hi all, i have a Mercury 1998 150 V6 efi 2 stroke, it usually starts well and runs great on the first start when its cold, once it’s turned off and sits a bit it starts but only 3 cylinders seem to be firing and it doesn’t get any better. I changed the power pack as it was said to be faulty but still no improvement. And ideas? Many thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi all, i have a Mercury 1998 150 V6 efi 2 stroke, it usually starts well and runs great on the first start when its cold, once it’s turned off and sits a bit it starts but only 3 cylinders seem to be firing and it doesn’t get any better. I changed the power pack as it was said to be faulty but still no improvement. And ideas? Many thanks
If this is when it’s on the trailer and after just a short run, any chance it could be a battery issue ? Wouldn’t be the first time a highly electrically dependant efi outboard has thrown this issue at its owner…often fooling (including me a couple of times) then into thinking otherwise…because it seems to start ok. Definitely worth checking that you are getting a charge from her and definitely try another battery. Just in case, that’s all.

Josh13250

Recruit
Battery is good, just checked and fuel pressure is bouncing between 0 & 20 psi, the fuel pump was grounding and making contact, and a CDI may be an issue.

Dukedog

Captain
low fuel pressure.. should be at least 36 ta 39 lbs. and "steady" at any rpm.. idle and above... could be pump, regulator, filters, and/or ecu?..
probably not tha 3 cyl. "no fire" problem.. thats probably electrical....