Mercury 1500 rev is forward????

snaps

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1500 rev is forward????

I told you because it happen to me days ago, I bouhgt a twin DT200 suzuki, only I need one for my boat,ok the mechanic put one at the boat, we went to the water,start, foward at the control....<br />what happen??? the boat go rev.<br /><br />The mother ****er mechanic was chenged the prop, because the prop of the other motor seems like new!!!<br /><br />May be this is the problem.<br /><br />JJA

sean6634

Cadet

Thanks for the info...I marked my prop and the lower part of my motor I'll know if he is trying to pull a fast one........thinking ahead ( for once)

sean6634

Cadet

Does anybody know how much a lower end should cost for a merc 1500 150hp outboard? My wrench is saying that he has a used one for 550.00 am I getting ripped off?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Did he give you an idea why couldn't fix the one you have for $550?

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a good price depending of the condition. A new lower unit from the factory is NLA.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Has anyone looked inside the controls where the cables attach?<br />Some of these boxes were interchangable for left or right hand use. You could install the shift cable either above, or below, the pivot point, which causes the cable to move in the opposite direction when the handle is shifted forward. If the cable moves the wrong direction, the shift rod on the motor will move the wrong direction.<br /><br /> Simple and cheap fix if this is the case.

kkern

Recruit

I have a similar problem.<br />1975 20HP merc w/ Merccontrol box (motor serial is 4290295). Forward puts motor into reverse.<br />Motor appears to work correct when controls are not hooked up (moving shift towards boat puts into F, up/down in N, and moving shift towards back of motor into R). I opened control box and there is only 1 way to put the thing together, and no options for putting cables in different locations, etc.<br /><br />I am wondering if:<br />1. Could I have a "wrong" control box?<br />2. Impeller/Pump was replaced - if the motor is working correct without controls, could previous issues mentioned in this thread be a factor?<br />Thanks<br />3. Can someone confirm the shift positions for me? They are not marked.<br /><br />Sidenote: I paid $500 for impeller and pump, they said previous impleller broke broke apart and had to get pieces out. Water was still not coming out great so I took water hose end off to flush and a couple more pieces fell out - did I get overcharged?

sean6634

Cadet

The shiftcam on my lower end was was pretty badly damaged and there was a pin broken that controls a spring action that controls your forward gears. the forward gears were also pretty stripped. I had the lower end replaced,new impeller,cotrol box and cables adjusted,and my hydraulic pump fixed for $806.53. Did I get ripped off? I don't know. I just want to get the boat wet. :D