Mercury 15 2006 4stroke water in Lu

G

Re: Mercury 15 2006 4stroke water in Lu

Do I need to disconnect the shift linkage to remove the LU on my 15?
MERCURY - ( 15 H.P. (2006 ))
Serial No: 1B281025 Model No: 1F15203FD

G

Yes. Here is the section from the manual.

6a - Download - 4shared

Gerry
Thanks Gerry, That's exactly what i saw from the online manual I found. I was just worried i would have to disconnect something in the cowl. I looked all over the cowl and could not find an easy place to remove the shift linkage which I saw some dude doing on youtube with an older mercury or many have been bigger HP. I looked at the online manual after my post and found exactly what you posted.

Thank you for your time i will post as soon as i get my seals and will try to manufacture a DIY bearing puller

G

this may be a stupid question but: does the LU need to be reattached to the shaft housing to pressure test it?

carholme

Rear Admiral

No, do not install it until you are assured that you have no leaks.

Gerry

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Its better to have it off to do the test, that way if it has a leak you can do the soap water spray thing and look for bubbles to see where its at.

G

Its better to have it off to do the test, that way if it has a leak you can do the soap water spray thing and look for bubbles to see where its at.

thank you, will do

matt167

Captain

do you cut tip off and attach a 12mm tip with a screw clamp?

No, the bike pump I used had a screw end and a simple compression fitting that came out of the hose. The gear lube pump I took the fitting from was an OEM quicksilver pump, but the same pump as an Atwood I think. I pulled the the fitting from the hose in it, and stuck it in the hose to the bike pump. The check valves in the pump hold pressure and while it's bulky. The gear lube pump was $6, and the bike pump was $16 at Walmart.

G

So my seal kit came. I Bought a mittyVAC and used a suction cup tip to suck pressure. Noticed a very slow loss in pressure. I am currently unsure if the leak is coming from the LU or the suction hose is leaking due to a loose connection (used soap and water to see if it will suck water but it looked tight). Going to return the mitty tomorrow and buy the bike pump and connect my quicksilver LU lube tip. Will post results. If pressure does not hold i will need help building a bearing removal tool.
Thanks for your help Everyone!!