FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I'm looking at an '01 19' center console that has this motor on it. I heard it drops a cylinder at idle for fuel consumption. Any other quirks anyone knows about this motor or have some opinions in general?
It is refered to as a 2+2. It runs on the top two cyls. at low idle and the bottom two kick in at 1800 rpms. It is designed for better gas milage and low speed trolling. They are known to idle a bit on the rough side but if properly set up are very relable and perform well. Some people don't like the surge when the bottom two cyls kick-in, it's been described like a four barrel carb when the secondaries open up. I have a Mariner 125 and really don't notice the surge on my boat which is a 19' fish and ski. I would not hesitate to go with the set up, but learn and be aware of the design of the motor. It is very important that the carbs are syncronized properly for the motor to run as designed. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thanks Quantumleap. I looked at it for a while today and it's in impeccable shape. As long as I know what to expect with re: to the kick in of the other 2 cylinders then I'm okay with it. I'll post what I decided to do.