Mercuiser vs VP 380

ikucera

Recruit
Spent a fair amount of time looking for a new boat. Settled on a 2016 colbalt A28 with a mercruiser 8.2 380. Really had a hard time finding info on performance of the new(er) volvo small block 380 vs the mercruiser big block 380. The boat I found was exactly what I wanted so wound up with the 8.2 mercruiser which I am totally happy with. However, I was surprised that there wasn't more information available on the differences in performance between these 2 engines given that the volvo is new technology (ie using VVT, etc) to get 380 HP out of a 6.2 L engine. Also, that mercruiser has now started manufacturing their own engines (as opposed to marinization of GM engines). Really, couldn't even find any good technical information comparing the 2 as far as torque/HP graphs. Not asking about the eternal VP vs. Merc debate, just wanted to see if anyone had any info of real world performance on these 2 engines?

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Have never seen a SB (even stroked) put out more "low end" torque then a BB. Pretty sure your going to like the 8.2 in the 28 footer (5500 lbs).

That said, hope there is no problems with the CATs

ikucera

Recruit
It is hard to see how you could get as much low end torque out of a 6.2 vs 8.2. However, I did see an article where VP had equipped 2 identical formula bowriders with 8.2 merc (380) and 6.2 VP (380) and the VP beat the mercruiser on time to plane. Obviously, it was a deal put on by VP so take it with a grain of salt.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 8.2 is detuned from the 525

The 6.2 is an LS motor

Comparing Apple's ans Kumquat's

ikucera

Recruit
Really not. Just want to know about real world performance. Both of these engines are commonly available in the same boat. Would like to know how they compare to one another.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
There is probably a significant weight difference between the 6.2 aluminum block and the cast iron 8.2. Probably explains the plane time.

ikucera

Recruit
I think the volvo 380 is about 270 lbs less than the mercruiser 380. Still think its interesting that considering these are 2 widely available engines commonly available as options on the same boat, that there isn't more information on comparable performance (ie torque/hp graphs, head to head comparisons)

alldodge

Staff member
Original standard 8.2 MPI was 415, so to have a 380 its been detuned more so even taking into account the CAT's, Go to the 430 HO is back where the original was.

Just thinking out loud, lets lower the HP on the BB so more folks buy the LS. Now if you want the HO lets add another $16K+ for a cam change and re-tune and your back to original.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The 8.2 is detuned from the 525

The 6.2 is an LS motor

Comparing Apple's ans Kumquat's
Hate to be a smart arse...but pretty certain the 6.2 this fella is talking about isn’t an LS...is it ? Is it not one of the new VP 6.2 ? May be wrong. Merc doing similar with their new 6.2. Not a GM engine I think. Just a thought.

Padilla458

Recruit
The Boating Forum - Mercruiser vs volvo 380 - Spent a fair amount of time looking for a new boat. Settled on a 2016 colbalt Not asking about the eternal VP vs volvo 380

njmcdirect