Mercruiser power trim hoses

Baylinerchuck

Commander
1990 Mercruiser 4.3LX, Alpha 1, Generation 1. I just discovered an oil leak that I think is coming from the hydraulic lines that pass through the transom plate. I think the leak is right where the hose is crimped to the stainless steel tube at the transom plate. This is a little discouraging since these lines were installed earlier this spring during my Chap's restoration.

Is it possible to replace these hoses without much hassle. If I loosen the distribution block off the bottom of the gimbal housing, I can barely get to the compression fittings that secure these lines. Anyone have any advice?

I'll use a bore scope to look at this further. Just looking for some tips here.

Thanks much.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
loosen the 2 lines as much as possable inside the boat, then remove the nuts and pull the housing down to get wrenches on the lines. Use a line wrench or flare wrench.

alldodge

Staff member
Is it possible to replace these hoses without much hassle. If I loosen the distribution block off the bottom of the gimbal housing, I can barely get to the compression fittings that secure these lines

Your lines are hanging on something inside the boat, they should come out with the hydraulic manifold (distribution). As BT mentioned, disconnect the lines from the pump and try to get them positioned so not to hang up. May need another to push hoses while another pulls manifold away from transom

Baylinerchuck

Commander
loosen the 2 lines as much as possable inside the boat, then remove the nuts and pull the housing down to get wrenches on the lines. Use a line wrench or flare wrench.

Ok, I though I was going nuts here. I was already ticked that a new line would leak.....thx for the advice.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Your lines are hanging on something inside the boat, they should come out with the hydraulic manifold (distribution). As BT mentioned, disconnect the lines from the pump and try to get them positioned so not to hang up. May need another to push hoses while another pulls manifold away from transom

Thx AD, you and BT are always a wealth of knowledge.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Lines changed today, no sweat. I pulled the manifold down, removed the two lines from the manifold and worked both lines into the transom pulling from the bilge. I removed the 4 lines to the cylinders from the manifold and removed the manifold from the gimbal housing.

I installed the new hoses onto the manifold using a little liquid Teflon thread sealant on the threads. I only use this to lubricate the threads when tightening so they don’t gald. Once tight, I installed a tie wrap to secure the hoses to each other. I placed a new gasket on the manifold, then fed the hoses through the transom. A little wiggling and patience are required.

Once the manifold was properly seated I made all the other connections. Easy peasy.