Mercruiser - Power Steering Problem

H20Dog

Cadet
I have a 1994 Mercruiser Mag454EFI in a 24' Mariah. The power steering failed this past season and I would like to know the best way to troubleshoot the issue. All belts are in place and aren't slipping, the pump has the correct fluid and level, no oil is leaking and the hoses look to still be in good shape. Reason suggests (baring a clogged hose or something like that) that the issue is with the pump or the actuator. Is there an "easy" way to troubleshoot this? Let me know. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser - Power Steering Problem

Why don't you just tell us exactly what the problem is.

H20Dog

Cadet

I haven't taken the "boat whisperer" lessons yet. Let me get this fixed and I will.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I haven't taken the "boat whisperer" lessons yet. Let me get this fixed and I will.

I asked what the problem was, that's all.

I won't bother you with any more dumb questions.

TilliamWe

Banned

Why don't you just tell us exactly what the problem is.

He did say the power steering "failed". We have to assume that he means that the unit turns, but takes a lot of effort???

Bondo

Staff member

We have to assume that he means that the unit turns, but takes a lot of effort???

Ayuh,... We could Assume alota things....

Check out the freedom of movement in All of the mechaincal systems of your steering system before you blame the P/S side of it....

H20Dog

Cadet

Sorry, I took your question differently than it was intended. The original problem is as Don S mentioned. By all appearances the steering cable is not getting any assistance from the power steering components, much like a car that has lost its power steering belt. The steering is really "heavy" and takes a lot of effort. Thanks...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... So disconnect the cable at the transom,+ See what's Free,+ what ain't...
Pay special attention to the aluminum tube the cable goes through...

H20Dog

Cadet

All,
Come to find out it was the cable that was bad and not a hydraulic issue at all. It was when I pulled the cable pin off of the actuator to remove it (the actuator) and moved the steering wheel to bring the cable close in to remove the actuator that I discovered that the issue was there even when the cable was disconnected from the power steering system. This was the suggestion 2 years ago and I just "knew" it was something else. Thanks for the help and I've learned one thing - if you ask, you MUST listen. I've held off fixing this issue for two years cause I thought I knew better. I could have had it fixed two years ago and not gone through the headache. Thanks to all who tired to "steer" me in the tight direction.... Humble Pie - yummmmm.