Mercruiser outdrive gasket

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone else had issues with the Bell Housing gasket pushing out when torqued to specs ( mainly on the right side looking at the unit) I always use OEM gasket for this but no matter what it always pushs out some times more then others....

Thanks Mark

dubs283

Vice Admiral
It happens occasionally, that portion of the gasket isn't very wide as there is little surface area for it to cover.

Best suggestion is to throughly clean the entire gasket surface on both the drive and bell housing. Just a tiny piece of debris/flaw can cause your issue. I've seen this most often when excess bellows adhesive used from a previous drive install isn't removed completely

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
It happens occasionally, that portion of the gasket isn't very wide as there is little surface area for it to cover.

Best suggestion is to throughly clean the entire gasket surface on both the drive and bell housing. Just a tiny piece of debris/flaw can cause your issue. I've seen this most often when excess bellows adhesive used from a previous drive install isn't removed completely
I've always cleaned the area good with razer and brake cleaner. Should I lightly sand the area. Keep in mind this has happened on more then 1 occasion and on multiple drives.. I'm sure it's something I am doing are could do different I was just looking for suggestions..

alldodge

Staff member
Check to see if your transom meets spec and it's going on dry

Attachments

• Transom Thickness.jpg
    Transom Thickness.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 5

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
google my name I fought that crap for weeks. Either get a gasket without the rock hard sealant bead that acts like pintle or take some sand paper and smooth the stupid rock hard bead flat a little. make sure your housing is clean and roughed up a little. When I had just painted the surface it really slipped out. Option two let it slip out, trim pieces, tape off gap and pack with silicone sealant, let dry untape and you're good. Pathetic gasket

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
I ended up lightly sanding and cleaning the area where the gasket sets and that took care.. I actually think what was going on was when the 2 halfs went back together I was getting a little oil out of the nipple onto the gasket face and that would've the gasket push out in that area