Mercruiser Bravo shifter stuck??? First time working on bravo!!??!!?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 97 searay overnighter with a 5.7/bravo power
Shifter was super stiff when I looked at it to buy, I did get it in gear twice, but had to try very hard. I brought it home today and was trying to lube cables and work it back and forth to see if it would free up and I broke the small plastic sleeve thats on shift cable to hold it in place inside throttle control.

I decided cable must be shot so removed outdrive to start disassemble process. When I got unit loose, the shift cable was coming out of transom, the shift assembly inside the outdrive will not come out of the hole, like it's stuck I guess?
I've never worked on a bravo unit but have several alpha units, which aren't designed like this.
There's a small "jaw" that holds the end of cable, I played hell trying to get it to release enough to slip cable end out...I did get it without breaking anything luckily

My question is, why would the piece inside outdrive be stuck and how can I fix it?
This boat was being used last season and just sat for the winter.
Side note, the cable is fine, except where I broke the plastic collar inside control box .
Is that plastic piece able to be bought separate from cable?
It's quicksilver 3000 controls.

I am attaching pics. I really need some help here I'm lost with this bravo unit.
Also, how do I know if it's a bravo 1 or a bravo 3?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Bravo`s are in neutral to remove the drive
the shift assembly inside the outdrive will not come out of the hole, like it's stuck I guess?
Nope it dosent just come out the jaw remains with the drive , just the cable unlatches
The control cable is separate from the lower shift cable, post a pic of the control box, may be able to get the the sleeve
B1 single prop, B3 duo prop

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
thanks, I know this shift linkage is suppose to stay in the outdrive, but ive seen videos etc where in is protruding out a inch or so maybe...mine is litereally completely inside the drive about an inch, so the locking mechanism will not release as it should.
​it seems like something is stuck inside the outdrive?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
is there oil in the drive and not water, does the input shaft turn
section 3A part #29
If the shift cable sheath was coming out with the drive ,the shift cable had failed and allowed water to enter the drive

Last edited:

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
No water in drive, I just went back out to look at it again. I took the cover off in front of shift linkage and grabbed the fork carefully with pliers. It shifts both F N and R fine I guess. It's just hard in between like it's spring loaded. Which it prlly should.
Put the cover back on and assembled so that the cable with the "jaw" is now out as I saw in other videos.
I'm guessing this would be forward gear. .

The sheath didn't come out with the drive. Just the cable core started to. I didn't know you had to disconnect it until I pulled it a few in out. But it went back in fine.

What doesn't make send is if the shift controls are free, the cable core is free, and the outdrive shifts all directions, why was it so hard to put in gear that it actually broke the plastic keeper on shift cable at control box?
Maybe I just freed everything up now that I've been in everything? Idk

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The core cannot come out untill you unscrew the locking screws in the black plastic end of the lower shift cable If you pulled the drive and the core was coming with it ,then the core has broken or became disconnected from the shift plate

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The core cannot come out untill you unscrew the locking screws in the black plastic end of the lower shift cable If you pulled the drive and the core was coming with it ,then the core has broken or became disconnected from the shift plate
See page 4B-54 in the link "b anchor screws"

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I did have the other end already disconnected.
​this is my issue, with the outdrive off, I removed the cover that hides the shift linkage.
​to move the linkage, I had to use pliers to shift it between gears. according to my local marina (who doesn't want to give information) it should be pretty easy to turn.
what could cause this? also how hard would it be to repair?
​I don't understand how anything could've happened just from sitting through the winter. I could see a cable or something, but dontsee a internal outdrive problem occurring from sitting a few months

alldodge

Staff member
In your first post you said the shifter was stiff. My question is, did you try to shift the drive without the motor running? If you did, this is the issue with stiff shifting, the Bravo drive shaft needs to turn even a little to change gears. Now if the motor was running and its stiff, then need to find out if its the cable or the shift shaft/clutch assembly

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
What the hell...so I put in a new cable from engine to controls, the one I broke trying to shift it without it running. I reinstalled outdrive, lubed everything up ujoints gimble etc while it was off, put everything back together, adjusted all cables again and fired it up.... GUESS WHAT??!! It is perfectly fine and shifts smoother than any alpha drive I've ever had!
Lesson learned, I know have some bravo knowledge at least 🤗
She's running great and ready for splash day for a shake down cruise!
Thank you to all who helped and chimed in it was all helpful upon my research and learning process

Now it's time to change oil, buff the boat, and repaint the bottom! Yayy lol