MerCruiser 898 Chevy 305 Hardstark issue

Mustangman 52

Seaman
I have a perTronics ignighter after motor swap very difficult to start when it does start it will cut off within a couple minutes very weak spark at coil have tried ground in the plate in the distributor no change I have 12 V going to the coil about nine while cranking any help would be greatly appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Yer coil should be fed power from 2 points,.....

#1, the ignition circuit from the key switch,....

#2, from the outside tiny terminal on the starter's solenoid, only when crankin' on the starter,...
Which should feed the coil, battery voltage when crankin',.....

At only 9 volts while crankin', I suspect corroded wirin' connections in the startin' circuit, or corroded grounds,....

alldodge

Staff member
perTronics ignighter

I think your saying the points have been replaced with a Petronix Ignnitor
This needs a full 12V to the + side of the coil which will come from the key switch. You do not want to use the resistor wire that was previously used by the points system.

The link below is instructions for all of the ignitor models

http://www.pertronix.com/support/instructions/

Having only 9V and weak spark may need to clean some connections, or recharge the battery.

With it running only a couple minutes then shutting off, maybe you have a fuel issue, to much or not enough.
Is the carb dripping fuel when not running, or while running? Is the choke opening?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... about nine while cranking ...

With this information, I'd suspect the resistance wire is still in circuit.

You need to find a full 12v wire and connect from there.If you have an electric choke on the carb, that's a good spot.

Chris.........