Mercruiser 5.7 anti-siphon valve

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I figured now is as good as time as any just to go ahead and replace it on my boat for good measure since everything is apart and easily accessible.

I was wondering based on this picture of my valve coming out of the gas tank could anybody tell me what exactly is the anti siphon valve Is it that whole brass assembly or is it only a piece of it?

Is it marine specific or can I go to the auto parts store and get one?

PXL_20210718_193901967.jpg

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser didn't make and why pay their price.
I was just going to look through the Mercury parts catalog based on my engine serial number and see if I can find it but I see now you're correct they didn't make the anti-siphon valve and I don't know which one to get and where to get it from I see all kinds online from 1/4 npt to 3/8 NPT etc...

Not really sure which one I need so I'll probably just buy a 1/4 and the 3/8 to make sure I get the right one All I know is I need to make sure that it has a 3/8 hose barb connection and then I suppose it also needs to be brass?

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah. Take old one with you to an anti-siphon store to compare.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have to have one? I dont on 97 5.7. Starts fine, sometimes several pumps shots are required if it hasn't run in awhile. Other wise non issue... just wondering?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the fuel pump/filter connection is lower than the top of the tank you do because then if the hose from the tank to the filter leaks fuel can siphon into the bilge creating a safety hazard. I would keep it.