FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
the link to mercruiser info has on line manuals by year and engine.
I am assuming you have a timing light & know how to use it. The timing marks are on the the font of the crankshaft on the harmonic balancer ( just behind the pulley).
Depending on your boat engine compartment, unless you have some good mirrors, a snake-eye camera, or are otherwise a contortionist, it can be a challenge to see that tab up there on the housing.
There is no tab as in the older engine. You have a notch in a boss cast into the timing cover on your engine. It's for 0? TDC. You need to use an advance timing light to set the timing.
Here is the procedure for setting the timing on the Thunderbolt V ignition system. 10? BTDC is what you set yours at.
I have that same page from the manual. I don't see that darn notch. I will look some more when the sun is back up. Either I am blind or something is blocking it from view.