Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Cool Fuel Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2007 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI with a Bravo 3 drive. I'm looking to find out what is involved in replacing the cool fuel module on it. The part is pretty hard to find, and expensive, but there are places that have it. From the diagrams it looks like there are just about 4 hoses; fuel in and out and water in and out plus the bolts that hold it on the block. Is that about it? Any input would be great.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Cool Fuel Module replacement

Depends on the boat design. Some require engine removal due to inadequate space to get your hands and tools down to the thing. They are mounted very low on (and somewhat under) the port side of the engine.

CCD

Recruit

I have a 6.2.L MPI and can not even see the module when the engine is installed in my boat. I have to pull the engine and then it is very to work on. The bracket that holds the fuel module mounts on studs that attach the port front motor mount. There is a plastic cover that snaps on and then a plate to remove that holds the fuel pump and cooler in place. I have cooling water in and out, 3 fuel connections and a vacuum line to the regulator and electrical coonection to the fuel pump. Good luck!

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I have "pretty good" access to mine. I can get to all the hoses pretty easy. I just have to remove my batteries and climb down in there. Part of it would depend on where the mounting bolts are I suppose, but I think they are on the front arent' they?

CCD

Recruit

Mine mounts on the port front motor mount studs.

sybaris2

Seaman Apprentice

Why are you wanting to take it off?

I have the same engine with Cool Fuel. I've heard varying opinions about it's usefullness and right now mine's pretty useless. The plastic flange on the feed hose connector broke off. If you look at the design it's IMO a train wreck. I never was a fan of applying pressure to plastic as a means of sealing a fluid connector.

So if you're going to take yours off I'll relieve you of that connector or both hoses and connectors for a fair price.

At any rate, for removal, I'd look at the schematics for a 5.0L MPI fuel pump. Nothing different except the two hoses.

Also there is a bulletin out on it the Gen II Cool Fuel System, 2009-001. I can't find it online but my dealer says it's on the Mercruiser site somewhere.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I'm taking it off to replace it as the outter casing cracked. Well, actually, I'm not taking it off, the mechanic that caused the crack is taking it off and replacing/fixing it.

nilosb

Recruit

Hey, I need to replace this part also. It has a crack due to freezing. Where can I get it? It seems no longer available. That is bad. I bought this boat brand new 2 years ago and now I can't find a such important part.
Do I need to use some other part that replace/upgrade this one?
This is a mercruiser mag350 MPI V8 300HP.

Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Time to start your own thread with your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.