Mercruiser 3.0 TKI engine crank half time - never starts

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Look again. That Walmart battery adapter should be thrown away. The batter cable ends sanded with 320 grit, and bolted to the threaded studs that also need to be sanded
Do that.
Disconnect every connection you can find, one at a time and clean everything to shiny metal.

Smearing dielectric grease on and in all connections is a good idea.
I use a product called Kopper Shield. I smear it on all parts and bolt it up tight.
Some folks clean and tighten their connections then coat them with marine shellac to seal them.

Ditch those clamp-on battery connectors. Bolt the cables onto the threaded studs you are currently not using. Use lock washers and check for tightness periodically. Boats vibrate a lot.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Personally, ditch the ACR. Those things (in a boat) are more trouble than they are worth...

Here's what a good wiring set up should look like...

1654912341660.png

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice
Do that.
Disconnect every connection you can find, one at a time and clean everything to shiny metal.

Smearing dielectric grease on and in all connections is a good idea.
I use a product called Kopper Shield. I smear it on all parts and bolt it up tight.
Some folks clean and tighten their connections then coat them with marine shellac to seal them.

Ditch those clamp-on battery connectors. Bolt the cables onto the threaded studs you are currently not using. Use lock washers and check for tightness periodically. Boats vibrate a lot.

I know the cable setup is crap but wish it to survive just the summer. I accidently broke a negative when I was cleaning the battery so not only is it fragile. Didnt even realize I had dual studs on the batteries until you mention it.

However -Thinking about also using these for battery terminals to avoid climping ends: https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07Q3DLZL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8VP7FWCZ8P8HC5BTBT3F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will get rid of the walmart switch after the summer
😁
for a 1-2-Combine switch from blue sea systems.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I know the cable setup is crap but wish it to survive just the summer. I accidently broke a negative when I was cleaning the battery so not only is it fragile. Didnt even realize I had dual studs on the batteries until you mention it.

However -Thinking about also using these for battery terminals to avoid climping ends: https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07Q3DLZL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8VP7FWCZ8P8HC5BTBT3F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will get rid of the walmart switch after the summer
😁
for a 1-2-Combine switch from blue sea systems.
No. Do not use that device in the Amazon link.

The point is to not use any type of clamp-on connector.

Bolt your connections by using ONLY the threaded studs on your battery.

Abandon those fat non-threaded battery posts, especially now that you mention one of them has become "fragile".

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice
No. Do not use that device in the Amazon link.

The point is to not use any type of clamp-on connector.

Bolt your connections by using ONLY the threaded studs on your battery.

Abandon those fat non-threaded battery posts, especially now that you mention one of them has become "fragile".
I see now your point. Jesus when engine is running at low rpm there are really crazy vibrations down there.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Use lock washers and check for tightness periodically.
Do not use lock washers or lock nuts on battery connections. Lock washers can damage cable ends and cause premature failure and lock nuts are an nmma no no.

Use a flat stainless washer or no washer and stainless nuts to secure battery connections. And of course, clean and tighten regularly

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice
Do not use lock washers or lock nuts on battery connections. Lock washers can damage cable ends and cause premature failure and lock nuts are an nmma no no.

Use a flat stainless washer or no washer and stainless nuts to secure battery connections. And of course, clean and tighten regularly
I used these: https://www.boltsnmore.com/product/stainless-steel-lock-washers-304/

Don't know how they could damage ends, they will keep tight between threaded studs. Will not touch anything but top connectors.

Should be good and will keep connection tight.

alldodge

Staff member
I have lock and flat, the lock doesn't come in contact with the cable ends

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I stand corrected.
Sorry for the misinformation.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I have lock and flat, the lock doesn't come in contact with the cable ends
Lock washer is superfluous at this point, there is a limit to the number of leads/fasteners for battery connections. Five leads/washer combo max with one fastener. Otherwise you're prone to excess corrosion/failure

alldodge

Staff member
Lock washer is superfluous at this point, there is a limit to the number of leads/fasteners for battery connections. Five leads/washer combo max with one fastener. Otherwise you're prone to excess corrosion/failure
What ever helps ya get through the night, all good

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe you can share a picture of your set-up. Seems like you know your stuff and this is indeed important :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Maybe you can share a picture of your set-up. Seems like you know your stuff and this is indeed important :)
I don't have a "set up" and I don't own a boat. Just work on enough of them to know what works, what is prone to failure, what is acceptable for manufacturers and coast guard regulations.

If you can't picture in your mind based on my description then this forum may not be proper for you to glean information

todhunter

Canoeist
I don't have a "set up" and I don't own a boat. Just work on enough of them to know what works, what is prone to failure, what is acceptable for manufacturers and coast guard regulations.

If you can't picture in your mind based on my description then this forum may not be proper for you to glean information
Yikes. That kind of attitude is surely going to encourage the newbies to keep asking questions and learn. :rolleyes:

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice

I can picture what you said of course. I was sincere though with seemed like you had a good setup. So just asked to see it in practice because I will do a completly reinatallation of both switches and battery set-up and placement.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I can picture what you said of course. I was sincere though with seemed like you had a good setup. So just asked to see it in practice because I will do a completly reinatallation of both switches and battery set-up and placement.
Understood. At this point you're best off to start a new thread on the electrical/electronics forum page. Post pictures of your current setup and ask questions as to a proper setup for your batteries and any other electrical/electronic issues you are having.

Ive tried to be as clear/concise as possible but this thread has drifted far from the designated page title. Good luck

Jonatande

Seaman Apprentice
Understood. At this point you're best off to start a new thread on the electrical/electronics forum page. Post pictures of your current setup and ask questions as to a proper setup for your batteries and any other electrical/electronic issues you are having.

Ive tried to be as clear/concise as possible but this thread has drifted far from the designated page title. Good luck
Appreciate it! Thanks