Mercruiser 3.0 Stiff Steering

Kniemann13

Recruit
Hello!

I am having a stiff steering issue on my 1992 Bayliner Classic 1950. Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One. Takes the strength of Thor to turn this thing. After reading through some other threads I have followed some instructions per Bondo. I removed the steering cable on the back end and the steering wheel turns much easier all the way in both directions. Maybe not as easy as it should be? (Takes one hand turning it by palm). So I assume the steering cable is good? The grease in the aluminum tube looks to still be good, at least on the edges. I will take the cable out of the tube and get a better look later today.
There is a lot of squeaking coming from around the outdrive if I turn it by hand. I have tried greasing all of the fittings I can see, but may there are some hidden ones? Or something that needs to be taken apart to be greased.
In the event that the cable is good, and the aluminum tube isn’t caked up, what would the next thing to check be? Was really hoping to have a stiff cable as this seems like an easy fix, but now I’m not so sure that that is the issue.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, and I appreciate any help.

Kniemann13

Recruit
Cleaned the aluminum tube out real well and regressed. Hooked the cable back up to the outdrive and it is still pretty difficult to turn.

Kniemann13

Recruit
After watching a video where a fella physically showed the difference in a new cable and a bad cable, I now believe that I do in fact have a bad cable. Gonna go ahead and replace it.