MerCruiser 3.0 MPI Electrical Short

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi, just to clarify...are we saying that he fuse blows at the first key turned position ? Or when the key is turned further to ignition (before crank position) on, where normally you might get a beep from dash horn ?
If it's on the first turn, you might rule out a load of things. If it is on the ignition position, that is different.
I wouldn't rule out the actual ignition/key switch itself. These can be known to fail easily and result in this very scenario.
My next in line of suspects, would be around that ignition feed to the coil. Or perhaps the relay itself. I have recently known a similar thing to happen on a mercruiser tks engine. The local dealer was working on the engine just before it happened. it was then reported that it kept blowing this fuse and wouldn't start. When I went to look at it (after dealer and owner lost patience), I found that the ignition feed wire had been broken off its terminal and sitting bare and in contact with the top of the engine. It was shorting out as a result. I strongly suspect that it was caused by clumsy footwork from someone clambering or stepping where they shouldn't, was the cause.
Failing anything obvious like that, I would have a look at the corresponding pins, male and female, in the main loom harness plug. check the plug connectors at the injectors too. Think they might be on the same relay.

jnelsonusmc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, just to clarify...are we saying that he fuse blows at the first key turned position ? Or when the key is turned further to ignition (before crank position) on, where normally you might get a beep from dash horn ?
If it's on the first turn, you might rule out a load of things. If it is on the ignition position, that is different.
I wouldn't rule out the actual ignition/key switch itself. These can be known to fail easily and result in this very scenario.
My next in line of suspects, would be around that ignition feed to the coil. Or perhaps the relay itself. I have recently known a similar thing to happen on a mercruiser tks engine. The local dealer was working on the engine just before it happened. it was then reported that it kept blowing this fuse and wouldn't start. When I went to look at it (after dealer and owner lost patience), I found that the ignition feed wire had been broken off its terminal and sitting bare and in contact with the top of the engine. It was shorting out as a result. I strongly suspect that it was caused by clumsy footwork from someone clambering or stepping where they shouldn't, was the cause.
Failing anything obvious like that, I would have a look at the corresponding pins, male and female, in the main loom harness plug. check the plug connectors at the injectors too. Think they might be on the same relay.
Update- it turns out it has been the coil the whole time and it smoked the relay as well. New relays and new coil now and she runs like new again. I forgot who said the cheap coils could be the issue - well you were right. Ordered the one from boats.net - now I have to put the wiring harness all back together after taking all the wrapping off trying to chace down wires…. Should have stuck to the basics on this one - just did not believe the coil less than a year old could be the problem. Thank you everyone for the advice.
Regards
Jim Nelson

jnelsonusmc

Seaman Apprentice
Let me start with there just might be an issue with your pic. It wouldn't be the first time a manual or sticker was printed incorrectly, but that said it does follow the PCM555

View attachment 393281

Most all Merc MPI's have 3 relays
Main Power (MPR)
Fuel Pump (FP)
Slave (SR, also called start assist)

With the relay your looking at, and it having a pink/white wire that goes to the injectors, this just might be the MPR. The MPR connects power to same points as listed for item "a"

Key supplies power to MPR and the PCM. The PCM then applies a ground to the MPR coil which then sends power Injectors, coil, FP relay and other items. When PCM checks and all is good it applies a ground to the FP relay coil and pump turns ON

View attachment 393282

The SR is no used until key is turned to start and has no effect on PCM

In this above it has a separate fuse for alternator input. You mentioned the relay has a Red/Blk which would make it MPR
Apologize for not responding sooner - was waiting on parts to come in. Turns out the cheap coil I bought off Amazon has been the culprit all along the way here. The coil also smoked the relay - new coil from boats.net and new relay she runs like new. Really should have not went cheap on the ignition coil, cost me a lot more in the end in aggravation and money…..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Update- it turns out it has been the coil the whole time and it smoked the relay as well. New relays and new coil now and she runs like new again. I forgot who said the cheap coils could be the issue - well you were right. Ordered the one from boats.net - now I have to put the wiring harness all back together after taking all the wrapping off trying to chace down wires…. Should have stuck to the basics on this one - just did not believe the coil less than a year old could be the problem. Thank you everyone for the advice.
Regards
Jim Nelson
Nice one. Glad she’s sorted

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Apologize for not responding sooner - was waiting on parts to come in. Turns out the cheap coil I bought off Amazon has been the culprit all along the way here. The coil also smoked the relay - new coil from boats.net and new relay she runs like new. Really should have not went cheap on the ignition coil, cost me a lot more in the end in aggravation and money…..
The longer I do things like this the more I tend to stay with oem parts, unfortunately a lot of junk out there.

you can usually ohm test a coil. Attached are specs for my t bolt coil, you should be able to find similar specs for your est coil .

Attachments

• IMG_0015.png
    IMG_0015.png
    259 KB · Views: 1