Mercruiser 170 Ticking Noise

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I had a successful summer with my boat finally but after bringing it home last week and just running it on the hose to basically clean it out like i always do at the end of the summer, there was this weird ticking noise upon start up that got quiter after a few minutes then almost completely goes away went you put it in gear or give it gas after about 5 minutes. Any ideas what this could be? I hope its not something really bad. I am gonna put a video up tomorrow to show what it exactly sounds like but i just wanted some input. Thanks guys

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's not unlikely that it may be the cylinder head gasket on those engines or a warped head caused by the enevitable overheating it has suffered or just about to. Could also be the exhaust gasket.
You could use a white piece of a4 paper held next to the head and exhaust to possibly detect this. A compression test may indicate a problem with the head too...
Good luck.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, I had a successful summer with my boat finally but after bringing it home last week and just running it on the hose to basically clean it out like i always do at the end of the summer, there was this weird ticking noise upon start up that got quiter after a few minutes then almost completely goes away went you put it in gear or give it gas after about 5 minutes. Any ideas what this could be? I hope its not something really bad. I am gonna put a video up tomorrow to show what it exactly sounds like but i just wanted some input. Thanks guys

Guess I need to back track, a 170 is between 85 and 86. you could put your motor and drive in your signature

Slight ticking in most cases is either exhaust flappers or weak lifters.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First and always, let us know what motor you have, in most all cases we could care less what boat. We can go look back thru your post but give us some help. I think you have a 3.0 but don't know what year. You could put your motor and drive in your signature

Slight ticking in most cases is either exhaust flappers or weak lifters. Will dig a bit more if you can provide some needed ino

Sorry i forgot to mention it. Its got the "dreaded" 3.7 170, 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse but the engine is an 87 i think i gotta check again to see exactly. It just started happening once i brought it home. Coil, dist cap, plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, rotor, fuel filter were all changed this year

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry i forgot to mention it. Its got the "dreaded" 3.7 170,

Ayuh,... Yer handle also says 170,....

Might oughta call yer motor by it's most recognized name, the infamous 470,... ;)

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry guys my username is a little misleading lol. The engine is the "infamous" 470

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the ticking is the bomb that is known as the 470.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Tank it out and stick a 3.0l in it. Straight like for like. Won't notice too much difference.
Sell the 3.7 to one of the enthusiasts on here that love fixing them every year and who's wife and family
No longer go out on the boat.....haha.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tank it out and stick a 3.0l in it. Straight like for like. Won't notice too much difference.
Sell the 3.7 to one of the enthusiasts on here that love fixing them every year and who's wife and family
No longer go out on the boat.....haha.

Lol! If only i was that mechanically inclined lol

Bondo

Staff member
Tank it out and stick a 3.0l in it.

Ayuh,.... The 4.3l swap makes more sense, as the drive's gear ratio works,...

More power too,...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That's a point. You might need to be soon anyway ! Hate to be negative but this engine has not only ruined far too many of my friend's day out with family....but mine too....having to tow him back in. 2 rebuilt engines and water pump fixes later...it blew again and eventually replaced with a 3.0. All in the world is well again and it's first time, every time boating !
He had thought about a 4.3, but this requires different engine mounts glassed into hull and perhaps a drive ratio change in the extreme.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The drive ratio worked fine with the 3.0. Just about a second slower to plane. Top end was only down about 2mph tops. I'd imagine there wouldn't be too much difference at the prop hp rating between to two. Especially an old 470....
Certainly that was the case with my friends boat. Still managed about 4600+ rpm when changing to the 3.0

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well before i think about swapping engines, as i dont know how id take this one out and put another in nor do i have the money for it really... im gonna put a vid up tomorrow of it running so you guys can see what it sounds like. My plan was to sell it regardless because it was just a project boat but i need to know or have an idea what the noise is so i dont badly screw someone over

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hold the paper around the gaskets to see if it flaps slightly when engine is running. Good indication of a leak on exhaust or head.

kenny nunez

Captain
The ticking might be the core plug in the back of the cylinder head. Start it up and squirt some transmission oil in the carburetor, if there is an exhaust leak anywhere you will see the smoke.