mercruiser 165 not going into gear

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
im working on getting the serial numbers off the drive but i can tell you its a 165 with the gm 250 i get it started and running but it wont go into gear the control will push forward and nothing happens it however will not pull backwards (going into reverse) just looking for ideas boat needs a lot of work but i wanted to make sure all the key components worked before i dissassemble and reinstall them :) thanks for any input

alldodge

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 165 not going into gear

I don't see us having very much to work with from what you have provided so far, we sure could use a bit more for an opinion, WAG's are free.

It already sounds like you either have a drive or cable issues, or maybe both. If it's a project just start pulling it apart and see what you run into

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok ill see about getting more information, its only a project if the drive is ok i have no intention of purchasing another drive for the boat be more then i paid for the whole unit :facepalm:

Bondo

Staff member

ok ill see about getting more information, its only a project if the drive is ok i have no intention of purchasing another drive for the boat be more then i paid for the whole unit :facepalm:

Ayuh,... Take the drive Off, 'n inspect it, 'n shift it manually,...

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ill get the serial number off it tomorrow hopefully its a 1977. cables move but doesnt look to do much at the engine where they mount i should be able to shift it manually at the drive with the drive off correct? im new to all of this boat apparatus :) but trying

Bondo

Staff member

ill get the serial number off it tomorrow hopefully its a 1977. cables move but doesnt look to do much at the engine where they mount i should be able to shift it manually at the drive with the drive off correct? im new to all of this boat apparatus :) but trying

Ayuh,... Then spend some time in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of the forum,....

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thanks ill figure it out :) thanks for the guidance