Mercarb Throttle Lever question

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the boat out yesterday for the first time after rebuilding the carb. Everything worked great :)

Dialed in the idle mixture and speed per the manual and managed to break off the threaded part of the stud on the throttle lever when reattaching the throttle cable. :mad: I'm guessing it has been overtightened/weakened over the years.

Any thoughts on whether this can be repaired? Is the threaded part of the stud threaded in to the throttle lever, or is it machined in? I would guess there are a bunch of these throttle levers around on old junk Mercarbs because they seem to have been so popular over the years, but I don't know anyone who has one. I think the Mercury part number is 810925. I attached some pictures too. It would be nice if I could just fix it somehow-maybe drill/tap a new stud into it? It just keeps the throttle cable end from sliding off, so not a bunch of stress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

003 (2).JPG012.JPG013.JPG

Soder99

Cadet
Re: Mercarb Throttle Lever question

I'm no expert, but if it were me, I'd drill out the whole stud and replace it with a 1/4" bolt with a smooth shank. I'm sure if you hunt around the hardware store you can find something that will work.

Even if you don't get it drilled out in exactly the same spot it should be fine. You may just have to adjust that plastic mounting barrel that mounts the throttle cable.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think what I'll do, unless someone tells me it's a bad idea, is to drill and tap the stud with a small bolt/machine screw with a washer. I want to go small so as not to weaken the stud and all it has to do is keep the throttle cable barrel from slipping off the stud, so it doesn't have to be super strong.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If anyone runs across this in a search. I drilled and tapped the center of the stud for a 4mm machine screw, installed the screw with a larger washer , 4mm washer and lock washer. Worked great.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

coat me about $4.50 (because I had to buy the tap and hardware) and a 1/2 hour. :)