Merc/OMC 140 Flywheel

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all,

I'm in the process of dropping a rebuilt GM 181 block into my boat with an OMC hydromechanical stringer outdrive and I've got to make a decision on one of 2 flywheels that came with the boat.

They are both the same dimensions but one is just slightly lighter than the other due to some machined out areas on the backside. They are both original and unmodified. I weighed them and one weighs about 31lb and the other weighs about 29.5lb.

How should I decide which to use? I was thinking that the heavier one might create a smoother idle for trolling.. what do you think?

Thanks,

-Ryan

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Merc/OMC 140 Flywheel

If you plan on trolling, yes I would use the heavier one. 'nutcase

cruisewave

Cadet

I would use the un modified one due to whoever machined the modified one may not be right and could throw your timing off.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Donno about timin',..
But I'd use the 1 that was mated to the crankshaft you're using,...
That's the 1 it's Balanced for...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would use the un modified one due to whoever machined the modified one may not be right and could throw your timing off.

How can it throw the timing off ???????

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Both flywheels are original and unmodified, just slightly different designs on the backside of the wheel. One has slightly more material machined off the back which makes it lighter.

Not sure which one goes with the new engine, but I think I'll just go with the heavier one at this point, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't.. I figure it should smooth out the idle a bit.

Thanks,

-Ryan