Merc 7.5, 9.8, 20 HP

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, I'll admit I know next to nothing. I just found a junk 20 HP Merc. Can any of the parts work on my 7.5? Coils, Powerpack, recoil starter, flywheel, all look similar but until I start taking everything apart...somebody want to save me a lot of trouble? If not all this stuff goes on eBay, or in the garbage can.<br />Thanks, Rich

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 7.5, 9.8, 20 HP

sorry for the double posting--realized I had not selected "email notification"--is there a way I can delete the first posting?

No expert but on this one I would just look somewhere like seiler marine to see what part# is recomended for these motors.If #s match,bingo you know these parts might come in handy.Took a quick look and indeed in some yrs looked like all these motors used same ignition

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi K2M,<br /> If the powerpacks (black boxes) look the same, then they'll swap out. You might have to get some wire and shrink-wrap tubing to lengthen the wires, but it'll work. The triggers are different in linkage. The charge coils will swap out, as will the ignition coils on the block.<br />- Scott

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

In addendum... The above are contigent on the black boxes being the same to start. If one has a metal/plastic box and the other is black box, then the ignition coils are the only parts that will swap out...<br />- Scott

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks CW--guess I forgot to mention that my 7.5 is a "project"--missing coils and black boxes and is locked up to boot. Guess that's why they invented winter...