Merc 470 convert to open system ? Why Not

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc 470 convert to open system ? Why Not

mabey he could run some copper pipe under the hull ,its called keel cooling:rolleyes:

customhd

Recruit

Thank you all with helpful technical facts, I was unaware of the open deck design. I thought I would share with you my fix.

I was basically given the boat.

It is in great shape for a 1989 Larson with a 470 and cracked heat exchanger.

My father has always had big new boats.

I wanted to share the joys of my childhood on the water with my two small daughters (while they are still young).

Anyways, I am not the most skilled with a torch but have managed to fit a few things together in my short life. I was not confident with any of the "replace don't fix" radiator shop here in Colorado. The single cracked tube was probably the most difficult of all of them to reach and removal was not an option with my limited skills.

Instead of just blocking off the cracked tube I took a slightly smaller brass tube the length of the original and pressed it inside the original and brazed the circumference at both ends. Problem solved.

Everything in life is a compromise, to include boat repair.

Thanks again.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

any pic's of your repair?

chiefalen

Captain

Good for you, enjoy them while they are young. They grow up so fast, then you will be up a 4 am worrying about them as i do mine.

Hope it holds the fix, maybe you can post a pic and someone with the same problem will get schooled on your remedy, save themselves some bucks.

Good luck !

Maclin

Admiral

When there is no budget then creativity has to step in, good job! And good luck with all the rest, I hope it all holds up for some fun on the water.