Merc 4.3 Vortec Conversion

adam619

Cadet
Hi,

I have seen many posts about head upgrade from non vortec to vortec , however I could not find any mention of divorce choke replacement. I have the 1993 4.3 LX with weber 4bbl carb, I have a complete set of vortec heads casting #140 on standby. I was going to order a edelbrock p/n 2114 performer intake manifold but I have now realized there is no exhaust crossover ports for the vortec head and manifold which means my divorce (stove) choke is useless. Would anyone know of a electric choke upgrade for a weber 4bbl?

My engine is freshly rebuilt .030" over last year and running strong, stock cam .269/.273 lobe lift , was going to keep 1.5 rockers to avoid needing machine down the guides. I run in fresh water only. Also would anyone know if I need a calibration kit for my carb?

Thanks

Adam

nola mike

Vice Admiral
There are electric choke upgrades for the weber. Yes, you'll have to recalibrate your carb. Merc has a 3 step needle IIRC for the weber, not sure if they sell replacements still--last I looked, I couldn't find the specs for them. Otherwise the Edelbrock springs/needles/jets should work. A few of us have put Edelbrock 1409's on the vortec 4.3s and you can find out what we ended up with. FWIW Michigan motorz sells their crate 4.3's with Edelbrock 1409s using the stock Edelbrock jetting. I may start there again if I can get the boat back on the water.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Edlebrock sells an electric conversion,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that's the way to go with either an Edelbrock or Holley. I thought of installing Vortec heads on my old pre vortec when I did the rebuild but thought there were going to be other complications, so just went back with pre-vortec heads & used my old intake, Q-Jet with divorced choke.
If you do convert keep in mind the intake torque specs are MUCH lower for the vortec intake gaskets. Not 30 ft lbs like on the pre vortec.

adam619

Cadet
Thanks for the reply guys , so I take it the edelbrock eletric choke and calibration kit will work on my weber 4 bbl? Same kits as for the edelbrock 1409?

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks for the reply guys , so I take it the edelbrock eletric choke and calibration kit will work on my weber 4 bbl? Same kits as for the edelbrock 1409?
Ayuh,...... Exactly,....... ;)