Merc 4.3 Quench Distance

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Thanks for your input gents...

So I have ordered a 160* stat and electric choke that will hopefully deal with the carbon deposits in the future , will re-calibrate the weber carb for vortec head and intake also.

So about the quench distance , I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place , I know it is likely important in high performance build , no doubt , but I don't know how much it really applies to my situation.

Here is why I am really confused about it all , I have spoken with 3 different machine shops , (maybe they don't specialize in high performance applications) but all are seasoned veterans that have seen tons of engines. They feel that comp ratio is more important than quench distance and they don't think me going to a dish top to make 0.045 piston to head will make a noticeable difference. I heard the point that some stock vortec had flat tops with 4 reliefs had appox .060 quench. One shop presented me with 2 options without decking the block.

He found 4.3 gasket @ 0.022 , and engine tech pistons 1.560 comp height , 12cc dish (just a regular dish not a D-dish) , this would put me at ~ .047 quench at 9.4:1

Alternatively I could go with the 0.022 with my flat tops .038 in the hole for ~0.060 quench and 9.65:1 , which is what Mr @Scott Danforth suggested. Is this safe with 91 Octane?

Sorry to ask about this again but I am really confused about it all, in my view , albeit not backed by any experience , I would think the flat top although @ 0.060 matches really nicely with the vortec quench pad as it matches 100% of its surface with a flat portion , it is hard to comprehend that a tighter .047 for a much smaller area around the outer perimeter of a dish piston will provide better quench & squish at 0.012 closer than such a larger area of the flat tops , most surface of the dish top will be ~0.080 away from the quench pad. I understand a D-dish as best but not in the budget.

Is this making sense to anyone else? Am i worrying about it to much?

Adam
Yes you have tinkeritis syndrome...most do here just so you know. Based upon how you talk about boat engines I will ask...do you want a tourqe monster or a high strung race engine. High winding boat engines are very very expensive. 5000 rpm to 7000 rpm. This might sound unconventional...don't waste money on a high rise manifold...

Have a read on quench.

Last edited:

adam619

Cadet
@Tail_Gunner Im a pathological procrastinator, it is a notch above tinkeritis syndrome lol , i dont think it is going to be a monster at anything lol just more torque to pull as many skiers at once as i can.

I dont have a stock 8 bolt manifold , im looking for used now , so i might get edelbrock 2114 if i cant, the lake here is still frozen to about june so still a ways to go.

I was gonna start at 8* timing BTDC (30 total) and back off from there if it pings.

Thks for all your input , will update on results, flat tops it is,

Adam