merc 260 valve cover leak

lukecono

Seaman
Hello, I have a newer small block (rebuilt from scratch) in my formula fs 3 but I have a minor issue. The valve cover on the port side is leaking from the back corner when engine is running. Has a 4 bolt pattern but to tighten that last bolt it seems inaccessible. Does the exhaust manifold come off or is there a handy tool to get between the valve cover and the manifold? 3 are accessible but of course the one that isn't is the loose one.

kenny nunez

Captain
You might have some luck with a 1/4”Drive 7/16” universal socket. You may find it at Lowe’s or maybe one of the tool truck salesman like Snap on.
Lay the valve cover upside down in a vise and tap down the area area of the holes. Wire wheel the gasket surface. Try to locate a valve cover gasket that has the slugs where the bolts go through made from silicone rubber.

lukecono

Seaman
The valve cover is on the engine currently and in the water. Trying to avoid all of that hassle and have a tool that is skinny enough to tighten that bolt down because I don't see another way to access besides removing manifold. Ill see if lowes or a snap on has something I can get in there with. it's about enough room for a socket and even then, the weird angle makes any attachment difficult. the nut is tucked under that block and between valve cover and manifold. leak p.PNG

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Did you pull the ignition box outa the way,..??
You might have to lay the exhaust manifold out of the way,....

lukecono

Seaman
Bondo- no I haven’t, gathering opinions before taking anything apart. The Ignition box would be easier then the manifold

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure the valve covers are not distorted. the main reason chevy went from perimeter to center valve cover bolts is to prevent leaks

you may have to take a hammer and your work bench and straighten out the valve cover tinwork.