Merc 115 thunderbolt

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normal Water discharge is thru midsection, out gratings above and behind prop, so driveshaft will normally be wet.

Of course, driveshaft will likely be wet if waterpump is throwing water around midsection, versus pumping it properly into waterpipe.

Waterpump must be snugged down, where base is tight to gearcase casting, and gaskets above and below wearplate seal. If waterpump nuts are overtightened, the pump cover will crack. You did install heavy rubber slinger on top of waterpump cover, on driveshaft?

There is a small possibility that the gratings in the gearcase that allow water into pump are clogged. You might check them.

Itz gnome

Cadet
Thanks guys. I did clean out all grates on lower unit and put heavy seal on top of pump housing. My boat dealership can not get me that gasket. Could I use RTV to make a gasket? I’ll try another store today and see what comes up. Should be able to open up motor tonight and check that all pieces of old impeller are not stuck in there too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You said water circulated thru motor when you used hose on waterpipe. So motor is clear of clog.

Trouble should be in waterpump area.