Merc 110 power head compatibility 1969-1973

Chass

Cadet
I have a 1973 Merch 110 9.8 HP short shaft that I bought recently for $80 froze up. I tried some penetrating oil and a bar on the flywheel. It only sheared the key off and damanged the crank a little.

I took the power head off the rest of the unit and its pretty badly coroded under the water jacket in the head area. I dumped almost a half cup of oxidized aluminum out of it. I don't know what the rebuild is like but it looks pretty simple. I should tear into it but I may have another option.

I found a 1969 110 Merc for sale that has a problem with its bottom end but runs great.

My question is will the power head (engine) from the 69 unit fit on/in my 1973 model? They look very much the same in the pictures but I can't determine exactly what the bolt pattern is on the bottom side of the engine itself.

Anyone know about parts fit?

Thanks,
Chass
ct

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Merc 110 power head compatibility 1969-1973

It'd be easier to take the good lower unit from your '73 and bolt it up to the '69.

The powerhead and lower unit bolt patterns are identical. There could be a difference in length of shift shafts but those can easily be swapped.

The ign systems will differ but if I recall correctly, the ign's are close enough in style that they can be swapped too.

As long as both motors are short shafts, the lower units would swap OK. If the one you're looking at is a longshaft, you'd have to swap the '69 powerhead to your '73.

Unlike many small Johnson & Evinrudes, the driveshafts don't just pull out to swap lengths; you'd have to completely dismantle the gearcase to make that kind of swap.

HTH..........ed

Chass

Cadet
Re: Merc 110 power head compatibility 1969-1973

Mine is a short shaft and the one Im going to buy for parts is a long shaft. Im considering using his whole setup and using parts from mine because I think a long shaft would fit my application better.

Thanks very much for the info. It sounds like Ill be able to make something work with the two.

Chass
ct