Memorial Day Tribute

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Memorial Day Tribute

Picture_160.jpg

LadyFish

Admiral

I wanted to share this with you--from a friend of ours. <br /><br />"I wish we could have a Memorial Day here in Italy too. We have forgotten too many things, we give our freedom for granted thanks to rainbow flags waving almost everywhere... no Italian flags, no American flags. That is sad.<br /><br />But this could be your first impression if you come to Italy these days. The truth is different, this empty pacifism finds a place between new generations but is refused from older. We still have people among us who really lived the days of Hitler and Mussolini, who still cry thinking of those "Americani" who dropped bombs on Italian towns but gave candies, chewin-gums, cigarettes, sugar, and sometimes love to them. My grandmother always said "Americans took this, Americans gave us that..., Americans arrived..." Yes, they arrived. They left their families and crossed the ocean to fight, and sometime die, here in Europe. How can you forget this? I can't, and I was born in 1972. I was born in Italy, a free democratic country, thanks to thosee brave Americans who fought for me too, for my future.<br />Now these could sound just like empty words, things that you say each time the situation request them. No, they aren't: I can find their meaning today, just watching TV. Other brave soldiers are fighting for someone else's future and I can't stand people who ignore this.<br /><br />Too bad we don't have a Memorial Day, too bad we prefer not to think about our past. After 60 years, Italy and Italians still have to say thank you to Americans.<br /><br />Anzio means a lot but few people among youngers know about those battles. I don't know when but sooner or later I'll visit Nettuno and I'll be proud to visit the US Military Cemetery and say thanks to all that rest there, they are the symbol of my freedom today."

cajun1

Cadet

well said LadyFish, and a special heartfelt thanks to all our veterans

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Truly a debt of gratitude is owed to all...Thanks, may we never forget.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I want to say THANK YOU to all who have served this great country.My father was in WWII and I lost a brother in Nahm and have another brother who came back pretty messed up.GOD BLESS!

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I for one salute all our men and women in uniform around the world, may God protect them.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

From me too LadyFish....Thanks!

gonfishn

Commander

The Years have gone by many of us here..The young faces we see today are us from many years ago..The Right of wanting to be free has not..<br /><br />I hope when this is all done and our veterns return that we never forget the sacrifices they have made and let them come home to a nation that is truly grateful...<br /><br /><br />Again Ladyfish Thankyou...

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish to join all the others to thank all of our veterans both living and gone. Thank you for all you have done to make this great nation of ours possible. To be able to enjoy all of the things we take for granted every day would not be possible without your sacrifice. No celebrations, memorials, statues, or parades are anywhere near enough thanks for what you have given us. Thank you and may God protect our troops that are facing the dangers of our enemies today.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

My best regards to you all, my Dad is an NZ Navy vet. Was deeply involved with the development of RADAR in WW2 and has just had an article of his memoirs of that period published here. He served in the Asian and Pacific regions mostly through that period. Survived a Jap torpedo in the Pacific while on HMNZS Leander. They succeeded in getting the ship back to Auckland for temp repairs and then onto Boston for permanent repair.<br /><br />Anyway my wife and I lived in the UK during the early 70's and while touring Europe had the oportunity to visit a number of the War Cemetary's to pay homage to those who fell.<br />The sight of all those rows of cross's is very sobering.<br />Regards,<br />Peter

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

What saddens me every sinbgle Memorial day is, we cannot thank those we need to thank the most, except in spirit.<br />May God thank them for us, and keep them close to him.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

May their names and memory live on through those they gave freedom to.

ehenry

Commander

I kow I'm late with this...I went to my parents house and spent the day with my Dad. He's still here and doing quite well. He is a WW2 vet, flew B-24's......Well said Ms LadyFish.